The definition of heroism is “great bravery” (Oxford Languages). There are many things that people do that require bravery, one of the bravest people especially nowadays, are doctors. 

Health-care workers have always risked their lives attempting to save other peoples lives. With the COVID-19 pandemic, healthcare workers are “making extraordinary sacrifices to care for the rest of us” (Marcus). In the beginning of the pandemic, there were many unanswered questions. The fact that doctors put themselves out there to help others in a time of need, is heroic. Especially during the pandemic, healthcare workers were recognized as heroes. 

Many people might believe that being called a hero is a great compliment, but many healthcare workers think otherwise. During the pandemic, many healthcare workers have become burnt out, one doctor stated, “I wish I wasn’t a doctor. I wish I wasn’t terrified at what I may be asked to do. I wish I could self isolate” (Salles). That shows how exhausted the doctors are from the pandemic. Because of burnout, many doctors lose empathy, “for many, medical training is associated with a loss of empathy related to the immense distress and burnout trainees experience” (Salles).

Yes, doctors are brave and heroic. Even though doctors are heroic, at the end of the day, they are people and they need a break occasionally. If they had the opportunity to relax, they would not be as burnt out as they are right now. 

0
()