I have chosen to focus my research on whether or not the drugs given to children and adolescents with ADHD and ADD are ultimately helpful or harmful. At this point in my research, I have yet to take a firm position on this topic. Because I have ADHD and have had experience with several of theses medications, I have formed my own opinion on this issue and can see both positive and negative effects of it. One article that I came across described the pros and cons of both methylphenidates such as Ritalin, and amphetamines such as Adderall, and after reading this article I am starting to lean slightly to the side of these drugs having overall harmful effects that outweigh the positive ones. In particular, I feel that the severe heart problems that have been linked to the use of these medications are not worth improved attention and behavior. Just taking these medications for a few years can permanently damage the bodies of the individuals taking them. I would still like to talk to others that take some of these drugs and get their opinions on them because I feel that the people actually experiencing the effects are a more valuable source than research by those with no personal connection.  

0
()