After spending time going through Gale databases to continue my search for resources about health care and culture, I delved into different facets of the medical world, and different healthcare systems in different regions of the world. Naturally, I began my search by looking for definition of health care itself. In a World of Health document, the perfect packaged definition came my way: “The health care system provides professional or professionally guided services that preserve, restore, and improve a person’s health”. Going further, it explained the workings of American hospitals, medical professions, the “money side”, and the patient’s part in the service. Going hand in hand with this was another article that outlined pubic opinion of the American health care system. According to Barbara Wexler, public opinion is most definitely swayed by economic issues and doctor-patient interactions. In addition to learning about the American health care system, I also focused on the Mexican and Spanish systems, with Gale leading me to several New York Times articles.

In addition, however, I not only focused on culture and politics. Through researching healthcare in general, I found that there is another major influence on what patients expect from their medical providers, especially in the USA: the Internet. According to Milly Dawson, American patients are starting to take charge in terms of their health treatments, and “patients have become consumers”. This is especially prevalent among younger populations (from personal experience with my peers) as technology makes it possible to have much more information at our fingertips.

0
()