I remember the first day of my new school

I remember the tears in my eyes streaming down like a overflowing river 

I remember being attached to the tv for hours watching powerpuff girls everytime i came back from school 

I remember going to the park every weekend with my sister and cousin and always coming back with a scraped knee 

I remember the matching outfits my mom put me and my older sister in even though we were not twins.  

I remember every Halloween party we would do , dressing up as my favorite characters. 

I remember saying good morning to my fishie blue in his oversize tank everyday. 

I remember being excited to attend school everyday

I remember not having to worry about myself 

I remember going to amusement parks and having a belly ache after the sugary foods i had consume 

I remember talking to the sun and singing a song to it

I remember having it easy as a kid

5 1 vote

Emmanuel
May 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Dear Bethzy:
I am sad after reading your poem, “Talking To The Sun,” because I can understand this. Anyone who has grown up can understand this feeling. Finally accepting that we are growing up is hard and terrifying.
One line that stands out for me is, “I remember being excited to attend school everyday”. I think this line is amazing. I feel like when we were younger school was more enjoyable, yet as we grow up its stressful. We grow to like school less and less. Another line that stands out for me is “I remember being attached to the tv for hours watching powerpuff girls everytime i came back from school”. I think this line is so nostalgic because I also remember come home from school and not being worried about homework os studying. Instead I could enjoy my free time and watch T.V after school which I can’t do now. Your poem reminds me of a story that I once heard. It was about these two girls who waited to have fun and finally live life u til the day before their graduations. Their entire life they worried about school and prioritized it a lot that they missed their teenage years. This helped me see and understand their feels although childhood and teenager years are different it did help to understand it better. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. 

Last edited 1 month ago by Paul
May 10, 2021 11:46 pm

I really like what you’ve written! I just gave my 8th grade students a similar assignment, and yours would be a great example to show them!

Help on Youth Voices
2
0
()

Connect with