baby lying on fabric cloth

What if parents could customize a baby much like choosing a car, selecting attributes like eye color, size, and the ability to run fast? It sounds fiction but the reality might not be as far off as you think.

In the article by Chrisanne Grise, it mentions “a powerful gene, an editing technique called Crispr in 2012 sparked a scientific revolution, allowing researchers to edit DNA” Scientists are discovering new things like they already tried Crispr on animals to change DNA and now they want to discover if it could make some changes or effects on humans.

It’s great to discover new things and very beneficial for our future. But they are still major concerns about manipulating human DNA. The first is safety: so far, most attempts to edit human embryos and lab dishes have resulted in errors.

Another issue is that when an embryo is edited, those changes are passed on to subsequent generations meaning they will affect not just a single baby, but all of the baby’s descendants too. and the scientists agree, makes gene editing a serious undertaking that must be done with great care and deliberation.

So I believe we shouldn’t try it on humans because we don’t know what if it can happen if it could be beneficial or it could be harmful to the baby and their descendants.

1. Rachel 4 weeks ago

Dear Rosa,
    I am interested in your post because it brings up a very controversial topic. This issue is very prevalent in today’s world because of the implications it could have on humanity’s idea of children, genetics, and more. It could even impact the dynamics within families, as it is very unknown territory.
    One thing you said that stands out for me is: “ Another issue is that when an embryo is edited, those changes are passed on to subsequent generations meaning they will affect not just a single baby, but all of the baby’s descendants too.” I think this is incredibly important for this topic because it shows the long-lasting impact of gene editing. The effects are permanent and effect real people, who are more than just experiments and will lead lives. The descendants of the baby who had genetic editing will then continue to spread the altered gene, thus altering the traits of many people. This has the potential to go very badly.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time in Biology class we tried to use CRISPR to edit a gene. Even though our attempt failed, it was important because we learned how important this technology is becoming. More research is being done on it everyday and it is increasingly becoming more refined.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this was very interesting to read. It has a lot of good information to get readers to do more research and it brings up a topic that many may not have heard of previously.

2. Katie 4 weeks ago

Dear Rosa,
    I am interested in your post because I have heard about the possibility of gene manipulation becoming more popular in animals and possibly humans in the future. I feel like there are many different opinions having to do with this matter, ranging from believing it is a good idea and will benefit the future population of our world to thinking that it is extremely immoral and will ultimately have danger effects on people.

Something you said that caught my attention is that “those changes [of the DNA] are passed on to subsequent generations meaning they will affect not just a single baby, but all of the baby’s descendants too.” I think this is a very important piece of information, and brings up a good point for the argument that if the edited embryo causes dangers and disorders for the baby, it will also have these detrimental effects on all of its future generations.

Your post reminds me of a discussion that I had in a class last year, but I can’t remember which class it was. I do remember thinking that this topic is intriguing and involves a lot of controversy whether or not it is right or wrong. I think that it is a bad idea to start spreading the popularity of editing human embryos. If it’s malfunctioning right now, that’s not a good sign for scientists succeeding in making it 100% safe for people.

Thanks for sharing your ideas! I enjoyed reading this post 🙂