With its luxurious Mountains, its oceans that’s 620 mi long.It’s voodoo king and Queen papa legba, Marie LaveauIt’s tasteful spicy food And it’s velvety fleshed and honeyed mangoes. Haiti where it’s beautifully tragic With its large population of orphaned children   It’s high crime rate that’s political unstable It’s revival of gang violence.  It’s vulnerability to natural disasters And it’s disappointing use of force by police against protesters.            “Ayiti trè trajik e bèl” (Haiti is very tragic and beautiful) I was inspired by “a song in the front yard” by Gwendolyn Brooks. … Read more
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By Alexis
I’II tell u why I really love living in New York/ Harlem,     I like to see the nice green trees when I wake up,      It’s looks good in the morning time I love looking at the sun ,     the moon for long periods of time, it makes me feel good.     When I be walking pass Dunkin’ Donuts      I be feeling very hungry.     Even when walking by the streets of 125th     I can listen to the tune of music      Hip hop, blues, and jazz     where the people are dancing in the streets.     Walking through the Apollo Theatre      where famous musicians changed the music industry.     Makes me feel that I am in the right neighborhood where I am around     By talented artists such as the Jackson 5 and the whole crew of Motown records. … Read more
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By Mekhi
In this article written by Alina Tugend about the problems of Fake News, it talks about a particular group of students in Brooklyn, New York that are learning news literacy and legitimacy. An issue that our society has, is that no one is taught to tell if the news is fake or real. This brings about a lot of fake news and people believing whatever they see on social media, especially with a rise in people looking at their screens constantly. A recent report from a nonprofit group called Media Literacy Now says, “Media literacy is the literacy of the 21st century.” This meaning that media literacy is going to be a very important tool in our current generations and is going to be something that must be taught to everyone. The author of this article talks about a solution to require media literacy as a class in schools. She says that there is no long term evidence for teaching news literacy, but there has been a strong correlation of students that take the class are able to spot false content and judge misinformation and they like to keep up to date on current events and the news. I believe that Alina is right. I think that in the upcoming years, media literacy will be a very common class in schools and students will be more aware of fake news and more engaged in current events. I invite you to read and comment on this article with me on NowComment:These Students Are Learning About Fake News and How to Spot It … Read more
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By Sam
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By Amra
High up, a hop up Manhattan, is the heights, It’s where all the Spanish people live. I like it, I love it, I live it. Spanish is all on the signs. The Heights is like the Dominican Republic of Manhattan. People surprised when a black person speak Spanish. They ask where we are from. Busses go, bridging me to all these spots. Bus goes to Yankee stadium, bus goes to Fordham road. I shop. I eat. I shop. I stop. Taco Bell is the place, I go before I play across the street. Play baseball, play volleyball, play basketball. … Read more
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By Mario
All across the world, people use drugs. Whether it be marijuana, heroin, cocaine, meth, etc. people use it. In most places, though, doing these drugs is considered illegal and is punishable by a lengthy prison sentence. This is an especially large issue in the United States, where people can go to prison for years for just having some weed on them in certain states. This problem only really became an issue when Nixon started the War On Drugs and was made even worse when Reagan decided to get even tougher on drugs. Being an addict in the U.S. is considered a criminal offense, rather than a medical issue. In Portugal, though, this is no longer the case. Portugal had a rampant drug problem in the ’90s and it was really destroying them as a country. People were getting HIV and AIDS at a very high rate, overdoses were through the roof, people were using more hard drugs than before, etc. It got out of hand. So in 2001, Portugal decided to try something radical: they decriminalized all drugs. This had never been done by any other country and people all over the world thought this would end in disaster for them as a country. However, what really happened proved that people were wrong about the War On Drugs. The War On Drugs made out addicts to be criminals when really all they needed was to be rehabilitated. Portugal took funding out of their DEA and instead put that money into improving rehabilitation and making safe places to use drugs with clean needles and people on standby in case of an overdose or any other medical emergencies. They also did not arrest these people when they were found doing these drugs. Instead, if these people were found with were once considered illicit substances, they were referred to a rehabilitation clinic. In doing this, the addiction rate went down, overdoses went down, HIV and AIDS went down, crime went down, etc. It did not solve their drug problem entirely, because that is impossible, but it saved the country from and it helped people overall. Some people are still skeptical that this could work in the U.S. because people think using drugs turn you into a criminal and that there would be more violence and crime if we decriminalized drugs in the U.S., however, I argue that the only reason we think that using drugs makes you a criminal, is because the government made it that way. In reality, though, drug addicts are people, too, and until you treat them as such, the problem will only get progressively worse. Obviously, this solution has flaws. For one, more people would be likely to try drugs once. However, to immediately combat that, studies have shown that repeated drug use would go down. Another objection someone might bring up is that some drugs make you violent, therefore, allowing people to take drugs that make them violent could possibly increase violent crime however again, this can be combatted by having them take the drugs in a safe environment where they couldn’t possibly hurt anyone. It is a net positive to decriminalize all drugs as opposed to continue making it a criminal offense because it helps a large number of people and it doesn’t hurt many people if any at all. https://nowcomment.com/documents/253933 … Read more
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By Micah
All across the world, people use drugs. Whether it be marijuana, heroin, cocaine, meth, etc. people use it. In most places, though, doing these drugs is considered illegal and is punishable by a lengthy prison sentence. This is an especially large issue in the United States, where people can go to prison for years for just having some weed on them in certain states. This problem only really became an issue when Nixon started the War On Drugs and was made even worse when Reagan decided to get even tougher on drugs. Being an addict in the U.S. is considered a criminal offense, rather than a medical issue. In Portugal, though, this is no longer the case. Portugal had a rampant drug problem in the ’90s and it was really destroying them as a country. People were getting HIV and AIDS at a very high rate, overdoses were through the roof, people were using more hard drugs than before, etc. It got out of hand. So in 2001, Portugal decided to try something radical: they decriminalized all drugs. This had never been done by any other country and people all over the world thought this would end in disaster for them as a country. However, what really happened proved that people were wrong about the War On Drugs. The War On Drugs made out addicts to be criminals when really all they needed was to be rehabilitated. Portugal took funding out of their DEA and instead put that money into improving rehabilitation and making safe places to use drugs with clean needles and people on standby in case of an overdose or any other medical emergencies. They also did not arrest these people when they were found doing these drugs. Instead, if these people were found with were once considered illicit substances, they were referred to a rehabilitation clinic. In doing this, the addiction rate went down, overdoses went down, HIV and AIDS went down, crime went down, etc. It did not solve their drug problem entirely, because that is impossible, but it saved the country from and it helped people overall. Some people are still skeptical that this could work in the U.S. because people think using drugs turn you into a criminal and that there would be more violence and crime if we decriminalized drugs in the U.S., however, I argue that the only reason we think that using drugs makes you a criminal, is because the government made it that way. In reality, though, drug addicts are people, too, and until you treat them as such, the problem will only get progressively worse. Obviously, this solution has flaws. For one, more people would be likely to try drugs once. However, to immediately combat that, studies have shown that repeated drug use would go down. Another objection someone might bring up is that some drugs make you violent, therefore, allowing people to take drugs that make them violent could possibly increase violent crime however again, this can be combatted by having them take the drugs in a safe environment where they couldn’t possibly hurt anyone. It is a net positive to decriminalize all drugs as opposed to continue making it a criminal offense because it helps a large number of people and it doesn’t hurt many people if any people at all. https://nowcomment.com/documents/253933 … Read more
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By Micah
Years after the Civil Rights Movement, there have been many strides to becoming an “anti-racist” America. One being, the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education decision to rule segregated schools as unconstitutional. The United States has continued to fail in acknowledging the segregation found in public schools today. America’s public schools are increasingly segregated by race and socioeconomic status. In the public school system, the color of one’s skin and their socioeconomic status seems to determine one’s educational success. Not only are schools segregated, but neighborhoods as well. Schools in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods are held to a different standard than those in predominantly white neighborhoods. Research also shows that schools serving predominantly students of color receive about $23 billion dollars in federal funding than those schools serving predominantly white students. People have created a grassroots movement called Integrated Schools in hopes to integrate schools across the country. This program only provides a small solution, integrating schools. A movement like this doesn’t allow schools in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods to have proper funding from the federal government. Integrated schools are a step closer to an anti-racist America, but proper funding for public schools will further the movement. I invite you to read and comment on this article with me on NowComment:Anti-racist coalition:’ the movement to integrate public schools across the country … Read more
Published on 02-11-2021
Source: BenV
By estrella
San Miguel de Allende Plaza [México] As you walkyour feet thud on the stonebirds sing in the trees,you won’t feel alone Music blasts from mariachi bands children run around holding handsthe sun blares, you wave your paper fanyour breakfast crackles on a frying pan  The cathedral towers above you,it reflects in the sunthe buildings around youcolorful and bright,the plaza glimmers, even at night The hedges in the center are a maze,tall and mysteriousthey twist and turn making pathways that arelined with ferns The plaza is the centerpiece in San Miguelthe cathedral bell chimes every hour,reminding you of the time that you leave behind while you’re thereit reminds you that you are living in the momentbut you don’t care,because you know you love it there. I was inspired by “A Love Letter to Philadelphia,” by Yolanda Wisher. … Read more
Published on 02-10-2021
Source: BenV
By Nico
Published on 02-10-2021
Source: BenV
By Tasneem
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-22-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-06-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 01-06-2021
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-21-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-16-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-16-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-16-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-16-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-09-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-09-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-07-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-04-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 12-04-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 11-29-2020
Source: BenV
Published on 10-27-2020
Source: BenV