The United Kingdom has some of the most extreme gun control in the world. According to Gun control and ownership laws in the UK – BBC News, in 1996 the United Kingdom “outlawed” handguns in hope to decrease violent crime and domestic homicide numbers. The government did not create legislation that completely eradicated the population of handgun owning individuals in the country but made obtaining a license and a legal firm arm very difficult. The legislation was primarily seen as a response to the taxi driver Derrick Bird killing 12 people during a shooting rampage. 

In 1996 the United Kingdom cracked down on gun control in order to try to limit and decrease the number of violent crimes. With the removal of a majority of handguns from the environment violent crime continued with perpetrators finding other ways to arm themselves. According Knife offences hit record high in 2019 in England and Wales | UK news | The Guardian, In 2019 the United Kingdom recorded a record number of knife crimes with 45,627 offenses. This is a 49% increase from the knife crimes in 2011. 

The gun control situation in the United Kingdom is directly related to the gun control situation in the United States. Gun violence rates are the highest in the United States because of the wide availability of firearms. Leftist political views expressed the necessity to implement similar gun control laws to the United Kingdom to decrease the amount of violent crimes. As seen in the United Kingdom stricter gun control does not stop violent crime but simple changes the mode of violent crime.

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

Help on Youth Voices
0
()