Taking Dialectical Notes is best used after you have read a text once all the way through, keeping track of your responses in annotations on the text.

After reading and annotating your texts, it’s time to go deeper into the important parts of each of the texts that you are reading.

Click this link and make a copy of this Dialectical Notes Template or set up a notebook page for collecting information from texts while reading them, listening to them, or viewing them, and for responding immediately to the details you’ve collected.

The sentences and short paragraphs that you transcribe from your sources will become quotations that you cite and list in the reference section of your final piece of writing.

[iframe src=”https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTLRm6cp_3SD1gZFK-0tRWqPSl4PQh63pdrKKHRp3ewlv3wLqbU-X5jpi9sgLS3JDzKARSFWHVv_IIj/pub?embedded=true” width=”100%” height=”1800″]