What is Annotating?
What this IS:
- Making notes as you read
- Showing your thinking
- Talking to the text
- Understanding important words
What to WRITE:
- Connections (yellow)
- Summary or Paraphrase (red)
- Questions (green)
- Translation or Illustration (brown)
- Opinions/Reactions (purple)
What this IS NOT:
- You do NOT need full sentences
- Do NOT worry about grammar
- Neatness does NOT count (as long as you can read it later)
Why we do this:
- Keep our minds working.
- Show what we are thinking.
- Clarify or help us understand.
How to Annotate
After you read a sentence that you want to annotate on a NowComment document:
- Click on a highlighting color (top-left, icon looks like a highlighter)
- Click once to highlight the sentence
- Double-click on that same sentence to get a box for commenting
- Write one of the 5 kinds of commenting in the top box
- Follow the sentence starters below for what to write in the bottom box