What is Notice & Note?
What this IS:
- Making notes as you read
- Showing your thinking
- Talking to the text
- Understanding important words
What to WRITE:
- Contrasts & Contradictions (yellow)
- Aha Moment (red)
- Tough Questions (green)
- Words of the Wiser (brown)
- Again & Again (purple)
- Memory Moment (no highlight)
What this IS NOT:
- You do NOT need full sentences
- Do NOT worry about grammar
- Neatness or conventional usage does NOT count (at least not at first. You can go back and edit — at least until someone replies to you.)
Why we do this:
- Keep our minds working.
- Show what we are thinking.
- Clarify or help us understand.
(Click on each of these to enlarge.)
How to Notice & Note
After you NOTICE a sentence that you want to stop and make a NOTE on a NowComment document:
- Click on a highlighting color (top-left, icon looks like a highlighter)
- Click once to highlight the sentence
- Double-click on that same sentence to get a box for commenting
- Write one of the 6 Note & Notice headings in the top box
- Follow the sentence starters below for what to write in the bottom box