In this article, “School Social Media Free Speech Case”(Mcgraw Hill btw) I learned that students have free speech on social media and school districts cannot take action towards any posts on social media to a student unless there is bullying, harassment, or there are any threats involved. There was a situation where a student expressed anger which involved curse words on social media after not making the Varsity cheer team. The school took action by suspending the student from all cheer activities for a year,. The students parents then took legal action and filed a federal lawsuit and won, the student was then reinstated to the junior varsity cheer team. The school argued saying that schools should be able to regulate what a student says online, the judge believes that they are able to regulate what a student says online only under circumstances where there is bullying, threats or any harassment happening online.

I think the student was in the right and the school shouldn’t have suspended the student off the team. I think if she was just expressing how she felt the school shouldn’t have to suspend her from cheer activities because that would be like the school telling her how to feel. I also agree that schools should take action in situations where there are bullying, harassment, threats to students or teachers.

Who do you think is in the right in the situation between the student and the school?

0
()