Paradise, California
A wet place, compared to most of the state.
It averages 55 inches of rainfall a year.
This year, a
                     measly
1/7 of an inch.

Plants and trees were
explosively dry

The result,

was the worst fire in California’s history.
10,300 structures destroyed
          63 dead
dozens still missing

The Campfire still raging in Butte county,
fewer firefighters at hand to battle the Woolsely blaze
help comes from farther away

as far away as Texas.

In a future affected by climate change,
Expect drier autumn and springs,
scientists say.

Tinder-dry plants and trees only fuel fires farther.
Bad news for firefighters,
Who rely on early
 R
        A
 I         
        N
To
Avoid fire season
And ease the threat from winds
                             because winds help spread blazes.

“You’re waiting for a disaster to occur.”

NEWSELA – Predicted climate change could mean longer California fire season

September 7, 2020 5:30 am

Dear Medina,
I am very intrigued about your writing because it talks about the issues that happen because of climate change. The line that was brought to my attention was ¨In a future affected by climate change,Expect drier autumn and springs,scientists say¨ because it talks about climate change. How it can have consequences such as the fires. We as humans should take more action in preserving our Earth. It’s ironic how you published this last year and now in 2020 there is fire brewing in northern California. Thank you for writing this poem and reminding me that we shouldn’t take our planet for granted and make changes in our life to help.
Sincerely, Alondra

EDIT | REPLY

Celeste
April 5, 2019 10:13 pm

Dear Medina,
I am very moved by your poem, “ Fires, “ because it really talks about the issues that happen because of climate change. Also because you’re showing the statistics that have been out because of these fires. Like when you said, “ 10,300 structures destroyed 63 dead dozens still missing [ . ] “ This shows us that you really did your research for this topic. To me the main message in your poem is saying that we need to take care of our planet and need to look out for it. I really enjoyed your poem and it was really moving and inspirational.

Kelly
April 3, 2019 7:18 pm

Dear Medina Lam,
I am loving your poem, “Fires,” because it talks about a serious issue. I love how you explained what were the devastating effects of the fire because it is important to know who was impacted. To me the main message of your poem is that the fire was a disaster. I know this because of how you said “Tinder-dry plants and trees only fuel fires farther”. This shows that the environment was helping the fire and not people.One line that stands out for me is, “You’re waiting for a disaster to occur”. I think this line is amazing because you used someone else’s words to shows your message. This was really strong of you to do because using quotes can help make your writing better.Your poem reminds me of a poem that I once read. In this poem the author talks about climate change and the impacts on people around the world. They described how weather changes also impact animals especially ones in the arctic. Your poem connects to this poem because you both talked about the weather and climate. Your poem sends an important message about nature because while nature can be beautiful it can also cause serious problems. Devastating outcomes can negatively impact people’s entire lives. Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. Something that will bring me back to your poems and writing is the fact that you talk about real issues in our society. Also, you are educating people who don’t know that this fire happend or who don’t know the effects. Amazing work and keep pushing yourself :).
Sincerely, Kelly I.

5
0
()