Youth Voices
Youth Voices
Fooling around
/

In my opinion, I agree with the idea of using a person’s home language to help them learn English because it could help them when they talk English. if they were in a real emergency situation, they might need to translate or speak English. That is one of the reasons why it is really important to learn English. I speak a few different types of English now.  When I’m in school, sometimes I’m playful with my language and get in trouble.  For example, the other day. 

I was  with my homeboys Carlos and Victor, playing around and laughing.  We say random things, but nothing I can describe because it might be offensive to other people.  Let me give you example when I’m with my friends we like to talk to each other in a way that other people may not like, but for us, the way we talk to each other is as friends.

But when we in school we talk differently. We still talk English but in a more respectful way. We use appropriate language to talk during school days and we try our best to behave and to not fool around or talk that much. These different versions of English we speak are called dialects.  It shows that we use English well, and know how to code-switch.

I like your article! It is true that when around different people, we use different tones and dialects. Around a teacher, I use appropriate words and speak more professionally. When I am around my friends, I am more laid back and don’t have to be professional. Its interesting because in Spanish it is the same way. For talking to adults we use “Ustedes” and with your friends you can use “Tu”

Ethan
January 12, 2018 8:07 pm

Marvin, Iam glad to hear that you agree with being bilingual is an advantage when it comes to absorbing information. I believe that it is a great important skill to being bilingual, but we must be conscious of others when it comes to word choice. Over time diffrent words have evolved over time at a diffrent rate all over the world; so one may take offense into a common used word; In spainish Chino is used to identify asians but in english it translates to Chink- which is a slang word. Loved to hear your thoughts on this matter, but I would say to stay mindful!

Look at this article about research about how being bilingual is a advantage
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3164163/It-s-official-Speaking-one-language-makes-smarter-Bilingual-people-grey-matter-know-mother-tongue.html

Christopher
January 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Marvin, I like your article. I also communicate in different ways depending on who I am with and the location of the situation. The way I communicate in class is different from the way I communicate outside of school, such as with friends or with family members. Learning when is the right time to speak to one person, is an important skill to have. I found an article that talks about types of communication which you may want to look at (https://www.conovercompany.com/6-types-of-communication/). Anyways, thanks for your post and I look forward to see what you write next.

3
0
()