In the article, “Nigerian Inventor Fights Food Waste” (BTW) I learned that about ⅓ of food produced in the world for humans every year is lost or wasted. This adds up to 1.3 Billion tons of food every year.  Not all countries produce the same amount of food waste, some produce more than others due to the problems along food supply or distribution chains. For example, in Nigeria, there is a lack of electricity, making it difficult to preserve food leading to food being wasted. About 31% of the total land use in the country is used to grow food that winds up being wasted. Nnaemeka Ikegwuonu, a Nigerian fellow created ColdHubs, ten-foot-square solar-powered refrigerators that keep perishable food cold and fresh for up to 21 days. 

I think that this is a lot of food that is being wasted. Many people in the world are food insecure. I wonder if this lost or wasted food can feed all of these people and if there is a way in which this food can be directed to them? Just like this Nigerian fellow, we can all find ways to contribute to solving this problem. It’s awesome how someone can look at a problem, then make a choice on whether or not they would like to do something about it for the good of others. 

What are some ways you can prevent the future waste of food beginning in your own household? If we all were to all play some part in this, a huge difference will be made.

March 13, 2022 2:30 am

Dear Christopher,

I am impressed by your post ” Food Waste” because it’s stunning how much food is being wasted around the world, especially in Nigeria. It’s not their fault they just don’t have things
to keep their food from going bad like a refrigerator but for that, you need some sort of power usage. I think it’s impressive how someone finally decided to make a change or at least attempt to change the amount of food being wasted In his region.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is ” it’s awesome how someone can look at a problem, then make a choice on whether or not they would like to do something about it for the good of others.” It stood out to me because I agree with you I do think that it’s amazing how someone can own up to doing something good based on their own free will.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like how you think about everyone else and just envision how things would be like if everyone did something about a serious problem. You’re doing a great job keep it up.

Felipe. V

1
0
()