In the article, The Dilemma: Finders Keepers, a person found two gift crds on the ground. The balance of the cards together is a total of $440. This person goes to the customer service to ask if they can somehow get a hold of the person who made the purchase, but unfortunately they can’t do anything about it. Now the person is unaware of what to do. He’s debating whether it’s fine to use the gift cards or to pay them forward in some form since the someone has already spent money to purchase the gift cards.

Someone suggest he wait a month to see if anything happens. Like this the person who purchased the gift cards has time to visit the store where they made the purchase to see if they could replace the cards by showing proof. If nothing happens after a month the person advices him to donate the money to his local homeless shelter or to an organization. If not he can just ask the organizations what they need and he should purchase them to donate the items. In addition, this person suggests using the money for himself should be the last option and only if it’s necessary and to not spend it all just a small portion if they are in die need to.

What are your thoughts? Would you spend the money on the gift cards if you found them?

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

April 19, 2021 6:36 am

Dear yamile, I am very interested in your post about “finders keepers” because I feel like these types of situations are an everyday thing. I think that If i were to be in this situation I would not spend the money at all because I would feel guilty for some reason.

I would feel guilty because while that other person is hoping to find their card, I would just be wasting their money so that is why I would not use that card. But in reality if nothing can be done to give the card to the owner then I would use it for only emergencies for family not to spend for myself. Thank you for writing about this and for sharing this little story with us, I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.I like how you give a brief summary and make it sound very interesting.
Dulce C

Diana
April 19, 2021 3:56 am

Hey Yamile, I think that if I were to find gift cards, I would probably ask the store if there is any way on contacting the owners of it. If there is nothing that can be done, then I would most likely use them on things for my family on for myself. But if it were cash alone, I would probably keep it, unless someone came up to me and asked for it saying it was theirs.

Help on Youth Voices
2
0
()