Follow this link to see this comment in the original context.

In the article, The Dilemma: Finders Keepers, a person found two gift crds on the ground. The balance of the cards together is a total of $440. This person goes to the customer service to ask if they can somehow get a hold of the person who made the purchase, but unfortunately they can’t do anything about it. Now the person is unaware of what to do. He’s debating whether it’s fine to use the gift cards or to pay them forward in some form since the someone has already spent money to purchase the gift cards.

Someone suggest he wait a month to see if anything happens. Like this the person who purchased the gift cards has time to visit the store where they made the purchase to see if they could replace the cards by showing proof. If nothing happens after a month the person advices him to donate the money to his local homeless shelter or to an organization. If not he can just ask the organizations what they need and he should purchase them to donate the items. In addition, this person suggests using the money for himself should be the last option and only if it’s necessary and to not spend it all just a small portion if they are in die need to.

What are your thoughts? Would you spend the money on the gift cards if you found them?