white cotton on white textile

Grandma, I’m sorry, I couldn’t spend more time with you before you had to go

You were always there for me

You helped me figure out who I want to be

Grandma, you’re trying to tell me something I know.

Doctor comes in, says you have more time so to a new hospital room you will move

It is no ones fault this is happening, I know it is just the cancer

But it’s too late now, we don’t have answer

You fall asleep, I’m left thinking of the person you made me, that of which you wouldn’t disapprove.

Kid, I know that was hard

Later on you will be thanking yourself you talked to her

I’m crying so hard, nothings working, not even my vocal cord

Look around, this is everyone she worked so hard for

You have to go too, doctor doesn’t want anymore people in the room, it’s hard to let down my guard

I wish she had more time, that, I think, everyone would prefer

Inspired by “On a Night of Snow” by Elizabeth Coatsworth

Cameron
January 21, 2022 9:18 pm

good rhyme scheme

Kate
January 21, 2022 9:06 pm

I really enjoyed the poem. You were so vulnerable in the poem, and the emotion definitely came across. It’s easy to relate this to my own life. It was very moving, thank you for sharing.

January 21, 2022 9:01 pm

I really appreciated this piece. This was very personal for me because I lost my grandpa to cancer a little over a month ago. You perfectly described how I felt and still do.

January 20, 2022 4:33 am

This was very sad and emotional. I can kind of relate in the same way with how my grandad died from cancer. This is a very good piece of poetry and it was really enjoyable to read.

Abby S
January 18, 2022 3:32 pm

This is sad. It brought tears into my eyeballs. Thank you for this moving piece. – Autumn

5
0
()