According to Anna McCullen the people who are responsible for ensuring our products are ethically manufactured are the states and mass corporate businesses.  In paragraph 15 of an editorial, she states “the United Nations guiding principles on business and human rights says that it falls jointly to states and mass corporate businesses to “protect, respect and remedy” human rights.” The United Nations guiding principles say the states and mass corporate businesses are the ones who are responsible for ensuring our products are ethically made.  The states and corporate businesses are the ones that are responsible because they are a company just like any other and should have the same safety measures because they have the responsibility of their worker’s lives since they work for them. 

0
Do you agree with this UN principle about companies being responsible for the safety of their employees?x

In paragraph 17 McCullen writes, “In a country where a little handshake and a small exchange of money gets the job done, this process often fails to give an accurate picture of factory conditions, building, and fire safety.”  These monitor checks are actually not being done either because the people doing it are lazy or because they simply don’t care if the workers are working in safe conditions.  Western brands rely on these people to make sure the factories are being up to date with the manufacturing when in reality the inspectors bribe the workers with a small exchange of money so they won’t actually need to fix anything.  To add everything up the states and corporate businesses are the ones responsible for ensuring our products are ethically manufactured.

I agree with McCullen that it is the states and mass corporate responsibility for ensuring our products are ethically manufactured because every day the workers are getting paid a few cents while the brands are making a lot of income with the products. The workers should at least be guaranteed that they won’t be injured/ killed because the companies wanted to save up a couple of extra bucks and not put safety measures.  The brands should make sure the inspectors are actually doing their jobs, and they should also put emergency exits around the factories.

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

July 29, 2021 11:43 pm

Dear Michelle,

I am sending you information about your post your post, “Fast Fashion: Who is to Blame?” because I’m disappointed with the way buildings sometimes need fixing but inspectors bribe workers with a small change of money so they don’t really need to fix anything.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “These monitor checks are actually not being done either because the people doing it are lazy or because they simply don’t care if the workers are working in safe conditions.” I think this is disappointing because building monitors don’t care about the life of the builders.

Another sentence that I felt sad about was: “Western brands rely on these people to make sure the factories are up to date with the manufacturing when in reality the inspectors bribe the workers with a small exchange of money so they won’t actually need to fix anything.” This stood out for me because those in charge of the building do not care about the lives of the people who use their buildings, they prefer to pay so that the workers do not fix anything.

Have you seen this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIL8aIbYYDE I thought you might be interested in this because of how people want to break stereotypes with clothes. 

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I think I love how it is expressed and how it makes the article interesting.

Last edited 1 day ago by Paul

Help on Youth Voices
1
0
()