To begin, the novel Fahrenheit 451 connects to 2017 because of the way that the lower powered people in the U.S are basically consenting the authority of the people in more power than they have like Trump. In the novel, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury which is about the protagonist Guy Montag started off as a fireman who burns books because that is what the government wants for this strange society. In this society books are burned because they are seen as a threat by the government saying that it may give the citizens too much “freedom” or too much “knowledge” and some citizens may be more superior or “smarter” than others which might give them a bigger advantage. To show that people consent everything that the person in power says here is some evidence. Secondly , in the book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, the main protagonist Guy Montag a firefighter who is forced to burn books by the government was having a conversation with his wife about his job and she mentioned,” You should’ve thought of that before becoming a fireman. Thought! He said. Was I given a choice?” (49).

February 25, 2017 1:03 am

Dear Mario,

Thank you for your post “Fahrenheit 451 Response.” I really enjoyed reading it and learned a lot from how you connected the fiction in your novel to the real world. I think often it is easy to point fingers at the coercers and only think about the tools and ways people oppress others, but it is important, as you highlighted, to also look at the ways in which people blindly follow and consent. Or they are not blind to the dystopia, but follow anyways because of fear and feeling they have no choice. Thanks for posting, and I look forward to reading your thoughts more.

1
0
()