We regard ourselves as the greatest country in the world. However what makes us so great, better than other countries? I believe these are the main American values. There are many important American values, but I think the most important one is are equality. America is the country that stands for equality and has always fought for it.

Equality, in the Declaration of Independence it states that “All men are created equal”(Declaration Of Independence Preamble). This is just the beginning of the road to equality, there will still be slavery in the US for another 89 years until the 13 amendment was passed in 1869 which abolished slavery (US Constitution Amendment 13 ). However America was still not quite, it was hungry for more equality more ways everyone can be equal. 55 years later in 1920 women were allowed to vote with the 19 amendment (US Constitution Amendment 19 ). There are countless examples of America moving to be more equal. Martin Luther King Jr was a big civil rights representatives he wanted everyone of every race to be equal. In his “I Have a Dream speech” he says, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation. Where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character”(MLK “I Have A Dream” Washington). I think MLK is trying to say that one day people will not be judged by their race but judged by their knowledge.  Another important american idea is freedom but it did not develop as much overtime as equality.  After people were free they still fought for equality. Equality the fight that never ends.

Declaration of Independence Preamble

https://www.elcivics.com/us_declaration_preamble.html

US Constitution Amendment 13

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-xiii

US Constitution Amendment 19

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendments/amendment-xix

Martin Luther King Jr “I Have A Dream”

https://www.archives.gov/files/press/exhibits/dream-speech.pdf

Fernandez, Benedict. “About Dr. King.” About Dr. King | The Martin Luther King Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change, 2018, www.thekingcenter.org/about-dr-king.

“2018 #Msleg Tracking: Equality For All/Equal Access.” ACLU of Mississippi, 26 Jan. 2018,

www.aclu-ms.org/en/2018-msleg-tracking-equality-allequal-access.

Kristen

Hi Praneeth,
I like how your evidence and citations is very strong. You were able to back up your evidence and show that the Constitution is a symbol of inequality. However, I would like to see you work on your introductory paragraph. Why is inequality the strongest American value? What other American values can you compare inequality to? Is it better than freedom or justice? I feel like it would give a stronger introduction to your evidence paragraph. Overall, great effort!

Kristen
Reply to  Kristen

Oh my gosh, I’m sorry. I mean equality, not inequality. That’s not the American value you were talking about.

Zaggam

You had good citations and I like how you closed up your argument.

Dean
October 12, 2018 11:57 am

Hey Praneeth, I strongly agree with you that we regard United States as the greatest country in the world. I agree with you about the value you stated here. I also said equality as one of the values we need to live by. I like your argument and stuff but I think it is a little short.

6
0
()