In the article, “Women’s History Month: Equal Pay for U.S. Women’s Soccer Team” I learned that the players were still making thousands of dollars less than the U.S. men’s team. They questioned why they were being paid thousands of dollars less than male players at the same level. The women’s soccer team filed a lawsuit. Some examples to illustrate their situation which was filed under the Equal Pay Act, had two parts: equal pay and equal working conditions. The U.S. Soccer Federation responded, saying that male players deserved to be paid more because of the superior speed and strength required to play men’s soccer

I think what is happening is that society thinks the gap in pay structure was fair because the women had agreed to their contract through collective bargaining. The players, who have been fighting for equal pay for more than five years, had initially hoped for $66 million in back pay. The players and the U.S. Soccer Federation will have to agree to the new contract. Then the district court will approve the new terms. Both parties in the settlement are optimistic that everything will be finalized by the end of March 2022.

What do you think, should women’s soccer have equal pay as men’s soccer?

April 7, 2022 5:24 am

Dear Jannette :

I am intrigued by your post, “Equal pay for U.S Women,” because you talk about how you learned about the players were still making thousands of dollars less than the U.S. men’s team. The women’s team was filing a lawsuit for getting paid fewer than males. Federation responded, saying that male players deserved to be paid more because of the superior speed and strength required to play men’s soccer

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “They questioned why they were being paid thousands of dollars less than male players at the same level.” If males are playing the same sport but women are getting less is not right. They are both playing the same sort and put the same amount of effort.  

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you talked about an interesting topic. 

Eliana

1
0
()