man in black t-shirt and blue denim jeans standing beside white car during daytime

In paragraphs 142, 145 and 148 of “The Last Spin” by Evan Hunter may leave a reader feeling upset because it’s about two young men from rival gangs that are settling an issue by playing Russian roulette.

Even though this is the case, they want to ditch the game and build a friendship with each other, but sadly it doesn’t end that way. An example of this is on paragraph 142,  “’Screw the clubs!’ Tigo said. ‘Can’t we pick our own …’ The word was hard coming. When it came, his eyes did not leave Danny’s face. ‘… friends?'” This may leave you upset because it was a start of a new friendship for them, but it was prevented because of these gangs. 

We learn something interesting about one of the characters, Danny in paragraph 91 where it says: “Wait!” trying to prevent Tigo from pulling the trigger. This is not typical of how this character acts in this story so far. He often seems to be rushing the process of the game, just trying to get it over with and putting on an act as if he doesn’t care. This changes things because he is no longer trying to keep up the act of not caring about the situation he is in just because he feels as though he has to do it. He’s actually trying to keep the conversation going with Tigo.

After this part of the story, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this story because Tigo and Danny want to ditch the situation they’re in and build a new friendship. Too bad they could not have left the gangs and go on about their new lives.

0
()