Knowing only one side of a story can impact one’s thoughts, words, and behavior. Society has created a stereotype for women and men along with “attitudes of what defines masculinity and what defines femininity” (Person 4). Creating a gender type is seen everywhere for example the tradition that football is for males and ballet is for females.

This gender association has also extended into the workplace with the assumption “that females aren’t good at math and science” (Person 5), and there are few if any female astronauts. People are taught to act in the associated stereotypical role to one’s gender, and if one feels compelled to act differently, there can be harsh criticism directed toward them.

Society is teaching people that if one wants to be different, they are going to have to accept experiencing judgment. Not only does gender typing affect the way people treat others, but it also affects the way people express themselves.

According to Stefon Harris, “Empathy is the science of understanding” (Harris 13) and this concept is necessary to teach society that it is okay to go against the male/ female norms and it will just take time for everyone to understand that male/ female roles will continue to evolve in the future.

Change is not easy for everyone to go through, and people have different ways of coping with change. Once people become more empathetic and accepting of each other, the world will become a happier and better place.

Burnett, John. “Stefon Harris – Vibraphonist, Educator, Thinker – Teaches Empathy From The Bandstand.” NPR, NPR, 30 Mar. 2020, www.npr.org/2020/03/30/822024071/stefon-harris-vibraphonist-educator-thinker-teaches-empathy-from-the-bandstand. 

1. Kaylee 4 weeks ago

Dear Keira,
    I am interested in your post because I think it addresses a very important issue. I think that everyone has experienced the impacts of gender stereotypes. One thing you said that stands out to me is: “Society is teaching people that if one wants to be different, they are going to have to accept experiencing judgement”. This is an important reminder for people to not accept the poor treatment of others because it should not be acceptable in any circumstances. I agree that empathy is necessary for improving society. Thanks for your post, and I look forward to seeing what you write next because you have made interesting points.