cactus near four novel books

Through my relationships over the years, I have learned that the presence of empathy is very important. Relationships are everything. To relate is to be connected. The aspect of empathy will help to create more fulfilling and sustainable bonds. Therefore, the single most important skill you need is empathy – the ability to understand and share the feelings of another. Throughout the media, many celebrity relationships are portrayed as unrealistic, leading society to view them as fake and with false impressions. They are conveyed as single stories, where the public only sees what is displayed in magazines or social media outlets. A negative attribute to the faulty representation of these relationships is shown through the statement, “There is so much specialized media that the amount of material they require is extraordinary. I was amazed at the number of outlets on my book tour. Any small city has cable stations, drive-time morning shows, women’s shows—you name it. The sheer amount of material needed to run the media we consume is enormous, so you have to create lots of characters” (Neimark). These platforms have engulfed individuals to believe all that the media falsely portrays. But in reality, as a society, we do not know what occurs behind the scenes. 

As a population, we struggle to understand that celebrities, just as all other human beings, have real feelings too. Our absence of understanding is demonstrated through the statement, “The thing that worries me the most is that we seem to have a lowering of our compassion for one another – not – but not so much compassion as empathy” (“Alan Alda On The Importance of Empathy During the COVID-19 Pandemic). Our society continuously shows a lack of empathy and does not see the injustice of our actions through the disrespect we have towards the personal aspects of these public relationships. A certain celebrity that has received lack of empathy and endured judgement is Bryce Hall. He has been in a relationship with celebrity Addison Rae for about a year and has received hate and criticism for many cheating accusations, which are based on what fans see on the media. Their relationship is not kept private and is shown no empathy by society because of how much the outside world tries to get involved. But, I believe in showing empathy towards Bryce’s relationship and all others because, “Empathy is getting a reading as well as you can of what they’re going through, what they may be suffering from. And that’s important to think about them as clearly as you think about yourself and protecting them” (“Alan Alda On The Importance of Empathy During the COVID-19 Pandemic). All relationships have difficulties and as individuals, we can empathize with another’s personal issues. Overall, empathy plays a key role in the development of relationships. Our society needs to see the world from a different point of view that is not displayed through the media to help build respect for celebrity relationships and not put them under the category of a “single story”. 

“Alan Alda On The Importance Of Empathy During The COVID-19 Pandemic.” NPR, NPR, 13 

Sept. 2020, 

www.npr.org/2020/09/13/912424799/alan-alda-on-the-importance-of-empathy-during-the

-covid-19-pandemic.

Neimark, Jill. “The Culture of Celebrity.” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, 1 May 1995, 

www.psychologytoday.com/us/articles/199505/the-culture-celebrity. #RHS

1. Victoria 3 weeks ago

Peyton, very interesting to read and a unique example of the importance of empathy. I think, for me, the best synopsis of the point you were trying to make is your last sentence, nicely done. I agree with how harmful and toxic it can be to be lacking empathy in a relationship. Whether it is from your partner or others relationships are definitely one of the areas where empathy needs to be prominent.

2. Claire 4 weeks ago

Peyton, I liked that you used the example of Bryce Hall and Addison Rae’s relationship to describe the need for empathy. It is important for us to understand that we can not judge individuals based off of a single story we have been told. Showing empathy for Bryce’s relationship will decrease the judgement we have and increase understanding that we do not have the entire story. Overall, I thought your depiction on empathy is a good message for the need of it in everyday relationships.

3. Molly 4 weeks ago

Peyton, I agree with how you said that empathy is the key to creating meaningful relationships. I really like the quotes that you used because they add to your argument and give relevant information to the reader. I also agree with your specific example about celebrities receiving a single story in the media. It is difficult for celebrities to overcome this single story because they are in the public-eye; however, we need to give them empathy for them to be able to do this.