Examining the Intertwined Relationship Between Traffic and Racial Borders. 

The intense traffic in Atlanta is a direct consequence of the highways that have been constructed between neighborhoods. These highways were intentionally designed to serve as a physical barrier, reinforcing the existing racial divisions and separating Black and white communities. The long-lasting impact of these barriers is evident in the notorious traffic that plagues Atlanta, making it one of the most congested cities in the country. This situation also is political, because the people who were responsible for creating this system hold a significant amount of power. The highways and the resulting traffic only serve to further perpetuate racial segregation in the city.

Due to Atlanta’s history of segregation, there are still lingering influences that impact us today, such as the highways. These highways were constructed with the explicit purpose of dividing neighborhoods and protecting white people from black people. They also served to keep black people together and reinforce the existing segregation in the city. In fact, much of the urban planning that took place after the Civil War, particularly in the southern states, was designed to maintain the segregated system.

Despite the construction of highways that physically divided the two sides of the neighborhood, the government and those in positions of power took additional measures to enforce segregation within the city. This was achieved by imposing restrictions and limitations on the area, allowing for control over the residents. The article discusses practices such as redlining, which had a detrimental impact on the financial state and reputation of the neighborhood. By labeling certain areas as undesirable for investment, potential funds and loans were scared off, hindering any potential for improvement. This tactic not only affected the development of the neighborhood itself, but also had a ripple effect on surrounding areas, further perpetuating the division that had been created.

The white residents in the neighborhoods had a deep understanding of the reasons behind the construction of highways. They also believed that their own neighborhood was at risk. As a result, they developed an “isolationist” mentality. This group, referred to as “suburbanites” in the article, chose to leave the city out of fear, wanting to keep to themselves and remain separate from the urban areas. Initially, this separation was limited to white people. However, over time, this mindset spread to others as well. This behavior of segregating themselves from others only served to further reinforce the existing segregation in Atlanta.

Talan
April 5, 2024 1:16 pm

You have written a lot and your essay is very well said. Your essay really goes into focus on the division of cities in the US. I also like how you mentioned the mindset of the “suburbanites” reinforces the existing segregation n Atlanta which I have not seen been mentioned before.

Abduljaleel
April 5, 2024 12:44 pm

I think your analysis of the current problem and your dive into some of the historical backdrop are excellent. One of the things that drew me into your work was your cover photo. I’m curious what trigger you used for it.

Jaden
April 5, 2024 4:16 am

I believe you did great job of delving into some of the historical background and analyzing the issue at hand. Your cover photo was one of the things that pulled me into your work. What was the prompt you used for it, I wonder?

Aaron
April 5, 2024 3:35 am

Jalia, you did a very good job in detailing the issue presented. I find almost zero faults and wonder what makes you intrigued with this topic? I also like that your cover image shows a sense of community

Cassidy
April 5, 2024 1:20 am

I really like how in depth you went with this topic, it really shows how much effort you put into this as well as how passionate you are about this specific topic. I also think your cover is really cool, the small touches of color make it appealing to look at. Also, I really like how towards the end of your writing piece you people in white neighborhoods developed an “isolationist” mentality, I haven’t seen anyone else talk about this in any of their posts, so I think that was really interesting that you discussed that in yours. Great job with this!

Avianna
April 4, 2024 12:32 pm

Your writing is so powerful. I was really able to understand what you were saying and how it has impacted Atlanta. You did a great job!

Kelsey
April 3, 2024 4:32 pm

What drew me into your post was your powerful cover image. I like how the people in front of the colorful mural shows just how much color and life diversity brings to communities. I also love your writing and how it connects to your cover image. In your post you mention how the highways divide the city into two sections the POC section that lacks resources and the wealthier White section. Taking a second glance at your cover image, I realise that the side of the wall with people of lighter skin have a lot of colors behind them while those with darker skin seem to be fading into darker more dreary colors. I think this is perfect symbolism for how you wrote how POC neighborhoods are being destroyed to build infrastructure than only benefits a certain fraction of the cities population.

Abduljaleel
Reply to  Kelsey
April 4, 2024 10:02 pm

I completely agree with what you’re saying, and I believe you raised some really significant points regarding how things are constructed to make people think in this way. This powerful imagery and how it speaks to me more than how it curves into it. 

8
0
()