In the encyclopedia, “Education Policy in the United States”(Ballotpedia 2011) I learned about the history of our education policy and how it has developed over time. As the world progresses and we see significant changes in technology, the goals of what our education system offers have changed as well and continue to change. Some revisions have been, “…to prepare students for citizenship, to cultivate a skilled workforce, to teach cultural literacy, to prepare students for college, to help students become critical thinkers, to help students compete in a global marketplace.” This goal has developed overtime because the main reason for education in America’s early years was for the purpose of reading and writing for the bible. This is significantly different from what is being taught in the 21st century which is mainly focused on school choice and education performance. This leads to the discussion on what schools should teach and how it should be taught which has been a controversial topic.

I believe in an education system that helps better society and our future. We hold a lot of power and it could either be destructive or beneficial to the world. I believe our school should teach students how to be supporting members of society which would help strengthen the world for the next generations to come.

As I continue to learn about the Education Policy, I want to know more about the ideas that people have on what schools should be teaching.

5 1 vote

0
()