My source from EBSCO was a comparison of academic and athletic statistics from a division one school. I found it interesting, because 33% of students at DI schools feel as though they are perceived as less smart than their peer by their professors, when in fact sports teams often happen to have higher GPA’s than other non-athletic students. Even more concerning, 60% thought that their peers perceived them to have less of an academic ability than them just because they were athletes.

“For an athlete to be successful, they most have various traits that will drive them to the best.” This is so important to me because it perfectly supports the concept of my essay. I believe that competitive drive is a natural instinct, and that it can’t be taught. This 11 page study on competitive athletes is very informative, and I can use this information and these statistics as data for my study.

This article has also found out that the top eight teams in conference did not also have the highest GPAs. This is a counter claim to my thesis, because it shows that the top academic schools often differ from the top academic schools. This shows that people may be more one way driven either academically or athletically then the other.

Finally, it showed that women athletes, in general, had higher GPA’s than men do. There have been studies in the past that show that women have higher GPA’s than men, but I wonder if it is because they work harder, or if the classroom set up is just better for women to learn in than it is for men. This is something that I think I would like to further research, and I think that it would be an interesting aspect to add some gender studies into my paper.

See my comments on NowComment.

Amani
April 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Hailey,
Wow, this is such an interesting topic. I find it very upsetting that some people view athletes as not being intelligent, as I believe that most sports require a lot of work and intelligent training in order for someone to be successful. Also, all successful athletes have a drive to be the best, which can also be applied to school work.
I think it would also be interesting to compare men’s and women’s academic performances. I found an article that relates to this topic: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/09/why-girls-get-better-grades-than-boys-do/380318/ . It is titled “Why Girls Tend To Get Better Grades Than Boys Do.” It talks about how, all around the world and at all ages, girls on average are found to get better grades than boys do, even in math and sciences, areas in which people expect boys to excel in. They also present reasons as to why this is the case. I hope it is helpful, and I can’t wait to read more of what you write.

Yulisa
April 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Hailey, I really enjoyed reading about your articles. I can’t wait to see what your final essay looks like. I have never read anything that talks about these topics, so this is all new information to me. I find it really interesting that athletes think that their peers look at them as not as smart as others. Hopefully, we can change this mentality.

2
0
()