The death penalty has been seen in law throughout many civilizations. The earliest use of this practice took place about 1,500 years ago and were brutal forms of killing. This includes crucifixion, drowning, beating to death, and burning alive. Britain heavily utilized the death penalty and had various rulers that would abuse this power. William the conqueror was a more sane ruler and only used this form of punishment in times of war. As for the next ruler Henry VIII, he executed about 72,000 people for crimes of treason, marrying a Jew, and not confessing to a crime. European settlers brought the death penalty to America. Our first execution took place in 1608, and there have been many killings since. During this time, America’s use of the death penalty was for ludicrous crimes, including stealing grapes, killing chickens, and trading with Indians.

https://nowcomment.com/documents/310639

March 29, 2022 6:50 pm

Dear Charles,

I am intrigued by your post “Early History of the Death Penalty” because of all the information you gave about the death penalty. Like how long it has been around for and how people were brutally killed.

One sentence you wrote that stood out for me is: ” As for the next ruler Henry VIII, he executed about 72,000 people for crimes of treason, marrying a Jew, and not confessing to a crime”. I think this is crazy because of the fact that if you were to marry a jew then you would’ve been killed/sentenced. Not only that but I found it crazy from the amount of people that he had killed.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because of how informative you are. What will bring me back to read your posts is for how you go into detail about your topics.

Stephanie

March 29, 2022 2:56 pm

Dear Charles,
I am very fascinated by the information you provided because I never knew how long the death penalty has been around. The death penalty is a very cruel act and I believe that the death penalty is a very disturbing thing.
One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was, “the earliest use of this practice took place about 1,500 years ago and were brutal forms of killing.” This stood out to me because its been around for a very long time and its crazy to think that people are still following this today
Thank you for writing!!

2
0
()