For my research project on the Early Christian Church, I have obtained a few sources from the Gale Research Center. One is based off an essay on “Bede’s Ecclesiastical History” which contains much of the history of the church in the Roman Empire. The next provides an explanation of the Council of Nicaea which was a turning point in Christianity under Emperor Constantine’s provision.  The last speaks of the Sabbath commanded by God and it’s significance. I will use these sources in my research paper in order to address the topic of the early church changing in history.

Stephens, J. N. “Bede’s Ecclesiastical History.” Classical and Medieval Literature Criticism, edited by Jelena O. Krstovic and Daniel G. Marowski, vol. 20, Gale, 1997. Literature Resource Center, go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?p=LitRC&sw=w&u=salt89600&v=2.1&it=r&id=GALE%7CH1420010988&asid=0cda753410524d3a002e9bf56fd3d8f7. Accessed 10 Feb. 2017. Originally published in History: The Journal of the Historical Association, vol. 62, no. 204, Feb. 1977, p. 114.

“The First Council of Nicaea Codifies Christianity: 325.” Global Events: Milestone Events Throughout History, edited by Jennifer Stock, vol. 5: Middle East, Gale, 2014. Student Resources in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/EYCLPR276026914/SUIC?u=salt89600&xid=1fcc44fc. Accessed 10 Feb. 2017.

Ringe, Sharon H. “‘Holy, as the Lord your God commanded you’: Sabbath in the new testament.” Interpretation, vol. 59, no. 1, 2005, p. 17+. Student Resources in Context, link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A127938792/SUIC?u=salt89600&xid=3727ecb1. Accessed 10 Feb. 2017.

Photo by Monika Kostera (urbanlegend)

Zach
February 14, 2017 6:09 am

It is interesting how these simple contributions to Catholicism have impacted the faith so deeply, and it is clearly revealed here, as you did a great job of showing so.

Ryan
February 14, 2017 5:16 am

This topic is really cool as it is and definitely has room to expand a little further and make it that much better… also, I think you should do some stuff with the Crusades and Templar’s and stuff, because those were some wild times for the church.

Ben
Ben
February 13, 2017 8:07 pm

I feel as if this topic has the potential to be expanded upon greatly and how we could even learn ways to improve upon our Catholicism. I hope you find more information to build on.

Jackson
February 13, 2017 8:07 pm

That is a great way to start out your research. I am definitely interested to see what more you will find out about the early church. I wish you had also I could’ve had summarized with a little more about each article so I could’ve known more about what you’re looking for in your research paper. Other than that, great start Adrian.

Matthew
February 13, 2017 5:56 pm

I find these sources very interesting. I like how you have sources from specific events like the councils, however city ducting research in this way I think requires a few more sources. Also I think it is important to make sure you have some sources from people who are not Catholic to get an outside perspective. Good job.

Jean-Jules
February 13, 2017 5:44 pm

I thought this was very well done Adrian. I thought it was interesting in how these councils and meetings changed Catholic belief and changed history concerning Catholicism. I am looking forward to reading more on this subject.

6
0
()