The amount of media showing kids that drugs are something you should only go to if you have a bad life. Substance abuse is promoted everywhere even if you don’t notice. It’s in cartoons, movies, and even advertising. This lets young adults know that drugs are available everywhere and it doesn’t let them know the dangers of drugs. Even in your own household, it could be the people who care for you that show you that drugs are something that could be a part of your life. Having drugs shown as something trendy could have a lifetime of consequences and addiction.

As for myself, I have witnessed drugs being something that is normalized but I already know the dangers. I just think it’s important for the media to show how it could actually affect people they love and themselves. For example, the show called Euphoria, it gives an insight on how the life of an addict could be and many other issues amongst young people.

Do you think there should be more representation of how drugs affect young people ?

Valentin
February 28, 2022 4:03 am

Dear Emily,

I really enjoyed reading this, because I also think the media have made drug use normalized and “cool.” I do think the media needs to change how they approach drugs like how they advertise to stop smoking and vaping with the “truth” commercials. We see a lot of movies depicting high schoolers using drugs and having a fun time but they never show the consequences of taking the drugs so it gives the impression on young adults or even kids that taking drugs is gonna be this fun, amazing thing but it will ultimately lead to addiction and a world that spirals until you get consumed and eventually die. I think they leave a very bad impression on our youth and they (the media) should show the not so glamourized side of it.

Valentin 🙂

1
0
()