Since the pandemic struck the US, there has been an alarming surge in drug overdoses, according to the article “The Opioid Crisis” (Upfront). Opioids are painkillers that can be prescribed by a medical professional, yet they seem to be the root of addictions that lead up to the deadly usage of fentanyl, a synthetic drug with potent effects. The most affected age group are those between 25 and 55 years old, but teens are also at risk of this danger. Purdue Pharma, a pharmaceutical company, is facing several lawsuits for their prescribed medication known as OxyContin, which is believed to contribute to this national issue. Experts and researchers suggested two solutions: providing accessible (and affordable) treatment and using “harm reduction” methods for those who suffer from addiction. Although the pandemic might have contributed to this surge in drug overdose, many experts say this issue was already continuously rising.

I think that the proposed solutions should be taken into serious consideration. Think about it: people who suffer from addiction are people who have a family and loved ones. Anyone could suffer from addiction at the hands of irresponsible medical prescriptions with dangerous drugs. The article made a point that treatment should be more accessible than accessing a daily fix.

Who do you think is responsible for our nation’s drug problem and how should it be fixed?

James
January 31, 2022 8:07 am

Dear Jade,

I am very interested in your topic and caught my attention. Your article “Drug overdoses are responsible for more car crash deaths and gun violence fatalities combined” is amazing and how you write about it.
One sentenced that I enjoyed reading was when you said ” think that the proposed solutions should be taken into serious consideration and I agree with you that there should be more solutions out there to fix this problem and be taken serious. If this problem doesn’t get fix we will see more casualties.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward towards your next writing because I like the way you write and its very interesting and I wonder what will be your next topic.

Last edited 4 months ago by James

1
0
()