Some people know domestic abuse as something daily or regular in their lives and others who have never experienced it. However, even if a person has not experienced first hand they should care about all the victims and try to find solutions. This is a pandemic within a pandemic.

As seen in the news: A New Covid-19 Crisis: Domestic Abuse Rises Worldwide. Domestic Abuse increased during Covid-19 as Covid19 cases surged in the United States in March 2020, stay at home orders were put in place. “Mounting data suggests that domestic abuse is acting as an opportunistic infection, flourishing in the conditions created by the pandemic” (Taub). The schools closed and workers were laid off, furloughed, or told to work from home. “Stay-at-home orders, intended to protect the public and prevent widespread infection, left many IPV (Intimate partner violence) victims trapped with their abusers”.

Although restrictions were lessened the effects of the pandemic continued. “One in 4 women and one in 10 men experience IPV, and violence can take various forms: it can be physical, emotional, sexual, or psychological.2 People of all races, cultures, genders, sexual orientations, socioeconomic classes, and religions experience IPV” (Evans). The emergency number in Spain received 18 percent more calls in the first two weeks of lockdown than a month later. The French police reported a 30 percent increase in domestic violence. As we hear or see, people can not ignore this is a huge issue for many victims who are suffering and who feel helpless. Sadly many of these crises are set to become much more frequent.

Most people who experience IPV don’t seek help and this pandemic has shown how much work needs to be done to ensure that domestic abuse victims have access to support, refuge, and medical care. What we could do is show our support by having the hotline at all grocery stores, malls, and post on social media for others to be aware as well. Talk about the importance of mental health.

If we as a society normalized the idea of getting help as a positive thing instead of a negative there would be more people reaching out. Also, we could help by wearing a mask and help stop the spread of the virus so everyone’s lives can go back to normal without victims having to accept they have no choice but to stay with their abuser because the virus is impeding their leave.

Evans, M., Author AffiliationsFrom the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, F. P. Polack and Others, Consortium, W., & A. T. Widge and Others. (2020, December 10). A Pandemic within a Pandemic – Intimate Partner Violence during Covid-19: NEJM. Retrieved December 14, 2020, from https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2024046

Taub, A. (2020, April 06). A New Covid-19 Crisis: Domestic Abuse Rises Worldwide. Retrieved December 14, 2020, from https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/world/coronavirus-domestic-violence.html

Hannah Pecharich
December 28, 2020 8:56 am

Hello, Lluvia,
I appreciate the angle you took in your post in respect to domestic violence in the midst of the pandemic chaos that’s been plaguing the world. Deserving much more attention than it’s given, the issue is of even more urgent concern as our country seeks healing in isolation. I agree with you when you say, “ this pandemic has shown how much work needs to be done to ensure that domestic abuse victims have access to support, refuge, and medical care,” for in looking to remedy one disease, we’ve fed another, and contributed to its damage in failing to properly acknowledge its direct connection to Covid-19. Thank you for the message you’ve shared here, and I look forward to your future posts.

Sincerely, Hannah

December 17, 2020 9:54 am

Hello Lluvia, I really like your post and how it spreads awareness on this issue. Some people are not aware of what it is like to have to endure this kind of abuse and we should be doing more to spread awareness and help those who need it. I agree with your statement, “If we as a society normalized the idea of getting help as a positive thing instead of a negative there would be more people reaching out.” Normalizing the idea of getting help can possibly create an impact and encourage others to seek help. Thank you for sharing and spreading awareness.
– Wendy

December 15, 2020 8:00 pm

Hi, Lluvia, I agree with your post of how we much spread awareness of this issue and work towards helping each other out. Either that being changing the negative culture revolving around seeking help, or just wearing a mask in public to be able to stop the virus. “Sadly many of these crises are set to become much more frequent”, this phrase made me think of the more people that are getting abused daily that we still don’t know about. The stats show increase in domestic abuse, and we still don’t have a concrete plan for the future.

3
0
()