In the article, ¨ Are smartphones making us stupid?¨I learned that 81% of Americans own a smartphone especially young people. We carry our phones anywhere we go and we use them for everything. Two experts give their opinion on how these devices have an effect on our brains. For example Andrew Keen an expert says smartphones are making us more wrapped up in ourselves and we have less knowledge of the world around us. He believes that most people own a unhealthy excessive interest in ourselves which causes the selfie-obsessed culture which is making us dumber. Another expert says no they aren’t however smartphones can pose problems if we don’t learn to be skeptical about believing things simply because everyone in our network believes that. They don’t make us stupid because smartphones give us more information, more access to ideas, and more. 

I think this topic is important and is being discussed because half of the world is those who use smartphones wisely and then there are those who do the opposite however not everyone is not the same. I honestly believe that it has to do with age maybe those who are younger tend to use smartphones for selfies more than older people. 

Do you believe smartphones are making us ignorant?

1. Jessica 4 weeks ago

Dear Ashley,

I am very interested in your post because I agree that our generation and even those younger than us have a problem with excessive phone usage, which in turn makes us more self-absorbed. I entirely agree that although these devices have a negative impact on ourselves and those around us, they also act as Tools that give us access to greater knowledge and offer different views on the world. One thing you said that stands out to me is: “smartphones are making us more wrapped up in ourselves”. I think that this is truly saddening because I have found myself more indulged in my phone rather than enjoying the company of those I am spending time with sometimes. Your post reminds me of the times I spent on my smartphone at certain gatherings or hanging out with friends. I tend to tune out my surroundings and only focus on what’s going on on this little screen, so miss out on creating memories or having heartfelt conversations with my friends and family.
    Thank you for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I really enjoyed this thought provoking post. Your writing has caused me to reflect on my own smartphone usage and the self-absorption it has caused me to obtain. I am intrigued to see more information you’ve learned from this topic, especially the contrast between older generations and younger generations of today regarding device usage and its effects.

2. Josie Hathaway 4 weeks ago

Dear Ashley,
    I am very intrigued by your post because I think there is definitely a problem with younger generations in terms of phones making them more self-absorbed. I think that there will come a point when our generation will need to truly question the real reasons why they have certain social media apps. One think you said that stands out for me is: We carry our phones anywhere we go and we use them for everything.” I want to emphasize everything because it is truly, everything. People can pay over the phone, order food, clothes, necessities, books, almost any fathomable object. I think that this is fascinating, especially looking back not even 20 years, and I realize how much technology has advanced in the recent years. Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. Awhile back, during quarantine (around April), my family wanted to go grocery shopping but my mom was too lazy. Instead, we found a company that shipped fresh vegetables to our front door, all through a couple clicks on her phone. I am truly astonished by this, because I never thought that one day I would not have to search in the fresh produce aisles in a store in order to have vegetables.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this was a truly insightful post. It reminded me of the self-absorption that I gain due to scrolling through my phone for too long. I would like to see what other information you have gathered on this topic, such as the different ages that, on average, most kids get a phone in the United States.