man in orange shirt and black shorts holding black and white tennis racket

Sometimes in more individually oriented sports like tennis and golf, players often find themselves spiralling down a negative mindset which in return affects their playing and performance. They find themselves hitting a bad shot and then throughout the whole round they’re stuck on that shot which distracts them and takes away their focus. I was interested in this question since I play both tennis and golf, and find myself spiralling down that negative mindset. I waste my time struggling to come back from the negative mindset and searching for the reason behind what I’m doing wrong rather than enjoying the sports I love.

In my research, I found yes, thinking positively opens your mind and helps it function at the capacity of 31% more than it does with a poor mindset or with a mindset at a relaxed state. Having a better outlook on life can open up your opportunities and train yourself to have better reaction times to your gut feeling with flight or fight since it’s not always ready to fight or flight but rather trains your instincts better and more prepared. It shows that your brain can function more properly and will think better and even with doctors it helps them function 19% better to make a better diagnosis. With a better outlook, your body can relax and perform the things it was trained to do rather than trying to hurry and get it over with your body thinks more clearly and is more open to more opportunities and new experiences, and working better in a team setting. 

Caroline
September 29, 2021 8:30 pm

Isabella, I Found this post interesting to read and thought that you did a good job on writing the article and really enjoyed reading what you had to say In it. The quote that I like that you said was ” with a better outlook your body can relax and perform the things that it was trained to do” I do find myself sometimes hitting bad tennis shots at times and do think that having a positive outlook on it and not a negative outlook is good to have and I do find it a good idea to help me improve at tennis in years to come I also play tennis I really like to play tennis and I find it enjoyable to do. I have watched the movie on tennis one time called 16 love and it talks about how she overcame what obstacles that she had to overcome here is the link to the movie: https://tubitv.com/movies/15579/16-love?start=true. here is an article on staying positive that I have read https://www.theodysseyonline.com/why-negativity-is-the-worst this article talks about how thinking negative is a bad idea. thank you for writing this post I look forward to seeing what you write next because what you wrote was really good and it was also fun to read it.

September 29, 2021 8:18 pm

Dear Isabella,

I fully agree with you. Often time I will find myself spiraling out of what seems like my own control when playing golf. Having a positive mindset can often time save a game or even a tournament. It will not even help me with my game but with my own personal goal in-game. While I have not done the research myself I am a little suspect in the fact that you can improve by 31%. But I can believe that it does improve my game.

September 18, 2021 11:33 pm

Dear Isabella,

I am very intrigued by your post “Does a Positive Outlook Have an Effect on Performance” because I agree with you that with a better outlook, you will have a better performance on the field. A lot of the time an athlete can get lost in their thoughts if they feel like they’re not doing their best. One sentence that stands out to me is, “I waste my time struggling to come back from the negative mindset and searching for the reason behind what I’m doing wrong rather than enjoying the sports I love.” I think this is an important idea to realize because a lot of the time a person can lose sight of their passion for something because they get too caught up in it.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your writing really caught my attention.l

James
September 17, 2021 5:52 am

Dear Isabella,

I am very profound in your post “Does a Positive Outlook Have an Effect on Performance” because it is interesting how players often find themselves spiraling down a negative mindset which in return affects their playing and performance. Also interesting is how I struggle to come back from the negative mindset and search for the reason behind what I’m doing wrong rather than enjoying the sports I love. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “With a better outlook, your body can relax and perform the things it was trained to do rather than trying to hurry and get it over with your body thinks more clearly and is more open to more opportunities and new experiences, and working better in a team setting”. I think this is amazing how if you’re in a right mind state you can improve and be a better player but if you’re in a negative state of mind your mind will affect your performance.
Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Last edited 28 days ago by James

4
0
()