Toxic Masculinity

Adherence to traditional male gender roles that consequently stigmatize and limit the

emotions boys and men may comfortably express while elevating other emotions such as anger is what toxic masculinity is defined as. Toxic masculinity plays a big role in our daily lives and we see it all the time on social media, in movies, out in public, and pretty much anywhere we open our eyes to look for it. Some examples of this issue are “The pervasive idea of male-female interactions as competition, not cooperation, the expectation that Real Men are strong, and that showing emotion is incompatible with being strong. Anger is either framed as the exception to the rule, or as not an emotion” (Toxic masculinity). Our society places a stereotype on men saying that they have to be emotionally strong, and the quote, “real men don’t cry,” is very commonly used. Three behaviors that go along with toxic masculinity are, “Suppressing emotions or masking distress, Maintaining an appearance of hardness, Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)” (Salam). Putting this pressure on boys at a young age causes many problems for them in their later lives. These problems include not only behavioral issues but health issues also. A quote from Maya Salam’s Article “What is Toxic Masculinity” informs that the following issues are caused by the stereotype we place on men. The quote is, “aggression and violence,” leaving boys and men at “disproportionate risk for school discipline, academic challenges and health disparities,” including cardiovascular problems and substance abuse” (Salam). Earlier this school year we had discussions about gender roles, where most of our conversations lead towards women, and how unfortunate women are due to the gender roles placed on them. On the other hand men do very much struggle with gender roles and all the stereotypes that are placed on them. The argument of who has it worse based on gender roles can swing either way. Our society has an issue of not being supportive and putting many unrealistic stereotypes, which needs to come to an end sooner rather than later.

Salam, M. (2019, January 22). What Is Toxic Masculinity? Retrieved December 07, 2020, from 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/us/toxic-masculinity.html

Toxic masculinity. (n.d.). Retrieved December 07, 2020, from 

https://geekfeminism.wikia.org/wiki/Toxic_masculinity

0
()