Designing Online Activities’s Docs THUG Annotation Guide for NowComment

Instructions: While reading The Hate U Give, you can publish your annotations on NowComment. You should be writing annotations in your own words. 

NowComment Login for first-time student users:

1. You received an email (possibly more than one) inviting you to join NowComment. Find this email by searching your email inbox for anything from NowComment. Open the email and click on the link to join NowComment
  2. You will be asked to create your password, choose a profile picture and agree to the Terms and Conditions
  3. After you have saved these settings, your NowComment profile is complete!

WATCH THIS VIDEO WITH STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS

Types of Annotations: These categories have been chosen to help you think critically about what you are reading and draw connections to the world beyond the classroom. 

• SUMMARIZE: brief statement of important ideas or key events in the story
  • Example: Starr goes to a private high school in a different neighborhood than Garden Heights, where she lives with her family. She used to go to school in Garden Heights, but now she does not see many kids her own age from Garden Heights. 

• PURPOSE: identify a specific symbol, image, quote or scene and explain why the author chose to include it.
  • Example: The author includes the fight scene at the party to introduce the reader to two rival gangs in the story.

• CONNECT: draw connections to events or people in the real world
  • Example: The shooting of Khalil bears a resemblance to several real incidents of police brutality, including the murder of Oscar Grant.

• COMPARE & CONTRAST: find similarities and differences between characters, ideas and other texts
  • Example: Starr and Kenya are really different. Starr seems to prefer blending in wherever she is, while Kenya likes to stand out and seems to start trouble sometimes.

• INFERENCE: use context clues to “read between the lines” and determine what the text might mean beyond what it says literally
  • Example: When she is 12, Starr receives “the talk” from her parents about what to do if she is pulled over by a police officer. Her parents seem very protective and careful, and they are likely speaking from their own experience. Starr’s mom thinks she is too young for the talk, while her dad wants her to know what to do. Starr’s mom wants to keep Starr innocent, but her dad wants her to be prepared.

• QUESTIONING: ask questions of the text. These can be big questions about themes or ideas in the book as a whole, or specific questions about a line or passage.
  • Example: By age sixteen, Starr has been a witness to two shootings of her friends. How will the shooting of Khalil affect her emotionally throughout the book?

WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN HOW TO ADJUST YOUR VIEW AND ADD A COMMENT

Discussion (0)

There are no comments for this doc yet.

Comment posting has been disabled on this doc.