Do big companies have a responsibility to contribute positively to society?

How do I write about this without being hypocritical? I depend on big companies like Amazon, Google, Facebook (Instagram), Spectrum (cable and Internet), Twitter, WordPress (where I’m writing right now) all of the time. And I THINK these companies “contribute positively” to my life and to society. Do I think we as a people have a right and a responsibility to regulate and advise these companies through government regulation and hearings and such? You bet. I like the world these big companies provide for us — and I’m always interested to play with scrappy upstarts like Kumospace as opposed to Zoom, for example — And YES because we have such little choice in deciding whether or not to be involved with these large companies, they have an EXTRA responsibility to contribute positively to society, including allowing the Amazon workers in Alabama to organize into a union and get a fair wage.

0
()