Description of a Child

Keila is seven years old. She is in first grade and attends a public school located in the Bronx. Keila is from the Dominican Republic. Her first language is Spanish. She also understands and speaks English, but most of the time, she speaks Spanish. She lives with her father and grandmother, and she loves to talk with others about her family. At home, she is more exposed to hearing her family speak in Spanish. Keila has long black hair and brown eyes.

Keila’s classroom has 24 students and is combined with second-grade students. This classroom is designed for bilingual students. Her teacher gives the instructions in both languages English and Spanish to support  non-English speaking students. Keila is a very active girl, and she enjoys working in a group. One morning, I noticed that she likes to keep her school supplies clean and organized. One day, a classmate asked her if she can help him to organize his desk like her. She was very happy to help him.  She likes to help her peers. She tries her best to do her classwork on time. I also had observed that Keila loves to color when they are doing an art project; she really enjoys it. Keila is struggling when it comes to reading and writing. When she works on those subjects, she tries hards to follow the directions and raise her hand when she needs help.

Tags: journal

0
()