Could victims stories help to return power to the people in Buffalo?

Last night on TTT, Christina Cantrill, Joel Malley, and I started to talk about how each of us avoids a lot of the media  about the shooter and the tragedy that happened in Buffalo this weekend. And I wondered if youth protect themselves the same way, and how they might resist or resent our attempts to make space for conversations about the shooting in our classrooms.

We also took some time to read some of the victims stories from a CNN article  that I had put on NowComment to invite multimodal annotations. It was startling and difficult to take in the details of  these lives and the senselessness of their loss.

While being cautious to not repeat the trauma, I want to propose a project for ourselves and our colleagues, and, when possible, for our students to learn more about the victims lives, Let’s start with their names, then by learning some of  the details if their lives, we might grow our empathy for the loss felt by the community of Buffalo and beyond.

This is based on a project that I learned from Renée Watson and that she described in Rethinking Schools, Happening Yesterday, Happened Tomorrow: Teaching the ongoing murders of black men

Here is a Kumospace floor where we have begun to set up this project. In the top half of the floor you will find images of each of the victims. These link to excerpts about that person on NowComment. https://www.kumospace.com/youthvoices?roomId=2qjzLIYdNUwGTB2JuCKi

There’s more to add about our thinking, and it would be good to provide a few mentor poems including the ones in Renee’s article. So more to come.

What do you think so far?

0
()