Black Wall Street Letter

Dear Brad Girson

I’m writing to you about The Massacre of Black Wall Street: Graphic Novel. I am a student at the U School and we have been learning about the history of Black Wall Street. African Americans worked mainly as servants in Tulsa, where they developed their own insular society with its own economy. And they were a good and healthy community with a lot of businesses that were black owned and they had schools and all other sorts of things. All things were smooth until May 31, 1921, that’s when the Massacre happened between 30 and 300 people dead, mostly African Americans, and destroyed Tulsa’s prosperous Black neighborhood of Greenwood. More than 1,400 homes and businesses were burned, and nearly 10,000 people were left homeless.

First, I would like to share my reactions after reading and annotating the HBO Watchmen Sponsored partnership production, The Massacre of  Black Wall Street: Graphic Novel (The Atlantic). After reading about the Massacre I feel like the series really does let you see what maybe happened on that horrible day and you get to experience it in a way.

Lastly, I would like to ask a question about The Massacre of Black Wall Street: Graphic Novel. What made you want to write this novel and how did you feel after writing it?

Sincerely, Zahir Maisonet

February 25, 2022 5:08 pm

this letter is great. it reminds me as if im having a conversation in person

February 25, 2022 5:07 pm

I like this letter a lot. Short and brief and has very good supporting details that I haven’t seen anyone else use. Good job, bro.

2
0
()