Eight teenagers were recently invited to a restaurant in the United Kingdom as part of a filmed social experiment. After sitting down, each of them was handed a menu with more than 50 different items to choose from and a sealed envelope. Then they were asked to order one item off the menu.

The teens all picked the same thing: the “triple dipped chicken.” After receiving their meals, they opened their sealed envelopes, and each pulled out a piece of paper. They were in shock: The words triple dipped chicken were written on it. The producers of the film had predicted exactly what each teen was going to order.

How? By utilizing the same techniques that junk food companies use to market their products to young people. Little did the teens know that leading up to their visits, the producers had bombarded them with advertisements for the fried chicken dish—on billboards, in taxicabs, and in Instagram posts made by influencers. Even though the teens said they didn’t notice the ads, it was clear that the marketing had influenced their decision-making.

lizbeth
lizbeth
April 14, 2021 4:39 pm

Dear Alondra,
I agree with your post on, “Do Junk Food Ads Make You Hungry? because when i see something like that i start to crave it and would go that same day to go buy it or even sometimes I have to be craving it for long time. One sentence that stood out to me was The teens all picked the same thing:.It stand out because a lot of people can be craving that same thing because they all may see it in ads..I think the fact that when seeing an ad makes you hungry is because the ad is really edited good to make someone come buy there good so they can get way more costumers.

Thanks for writing and posting this I would look forward to seeing more about these kind of topics because I like everything that has to do with food.

Lizbeth

March 26, 2021 6:35 pm

Dear Alondra,
I agree with your post on, “Do Junk Food Ads Make You Hungry? because I can relate to this mostly every day since I work in a restaurant. Advertisement plays with teen’s heads without them realizing how bad it is. This happens to me a lot when I am working I see those ads and start craving them.
The phrase that stood out to me the most was “Little did the teens know that leading up to their visits, the producers had bombarded them with advertisements for the fried chicken dish—on billboards, in taxicabs, and in Instagram posts made by influencers”. This phrase summed upon how the advertisements play with our heads and we tend to get hungry and end up eating them.
Thank you for posting about this topic, I enjoyed reading about it. I am looking forward to seeing more posts like that.
Madram Ahmed

Mario
March 25, 2021 3:45 pm

Dear Alondra, I am now even more hungry after seeing the image of the burger you posted on, ¨Do junk food ads make you hungry?¨, because as it is I don’t eat breakfast before arriving at school so I’m hungry during class. As of now me writing this I am hungry. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me was ¨Little did the teens know that leading up to their visits, the producers had bombarded them with advertisements for the fried chicken dish—on billboards, in taxicabs, and in Instagram posts made by influencers¨. I think this is a great way to put it because everywhere u see are advertisements for pretty much everything. Thank you for your writing Alondra, and I hope someday I get picked for a food social experiment.

March 25, 2021 3:42 pm

Dear Alondra:
I 100% agree with your post, “Do Junk Food Ads Make You Hungry?” because I have craved things off an ad, and any time I go out and eat I chose the item that is similar to it.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “ Little did the teens know that leading up to their visits, the producers had bombarded them with advertisements for the fried chicken dish—on billboards, in taxicabs, and in Instagram posts made by influencers. Even though the teens said they didn’t notice the ads, it was clear that the marketing had influenced their decision-making.” I think this is surprising because usually when I see an ad I just fly by it and I see it but I don’t pay attention to it but later on, I would see things similar and get it because of the craving I got from remembering the ad from before.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I enjoyed the way you wrote, it was enjoyable and straightforward.
Manuel Cruz

Help on Youth Voices
4
0
()

Connect with