I’ve been a Type 1 Diabetic since 5th Grade, and more often than not, my parents will complain whenever they have to purchase more Diabetes products for me. Even with good insurance, they have to spend about $450 on products every month. This includes two types of insulin and blood sugar test strips.

The cost of diabetes products has increased drastically in the past decade. Dr. Irl Hirsch suggests that, in order for patients to optimize their budget for products, consumers should buy from generic brands. He also suggests reconsidering the brand of insulin, and carefully reusing supplies to keep spending at a low. Dr. Irl Hirsch says, “The cost of type 1 diabetes management has risen to $7,910/year for people without insurance.” 

According to GoodRx

Photo by elisaself

renee
May 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Dear Jack,
I feel sympathy from reading your post, “Do Diabetes Products Need to have Lower Prices?” because you have had diabetes since your were in 5th grade and you have to pay so much money for insulin.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The cost of type 1 diabetes management has risen to $7,910/year for people without insurance.” I think this is horrifying because you shouldn’t have to pay so much money for something that costs barely anything to produce. Doctors also suggest to “carefully reusing supplies to keep spending at a low” and that’s just sad. You and your family shouldn’t have to worry and stress about how you’re going to acquire money for medicine.
Thanks for your writing. I also have a blog advocating for having insulin prices decreasing and you can check it out with this link: https://insulinforall.wordpress.com.

Wentao

I am sorry to hear that. I used to have a classmate who was also a Type 1 Diabetic. We have been friends since 7th grade. He is always affirmative, and gives positive energy to people around him. You and him made me realize that people with diabetes are not people who are weak, but who are winning the fight for life. And I also agree with you that insurance should cover more of the cost. Since this problem come out, I think maybe you and my friends can write a letter to the government, they may can help more.

Quan
September 22, 2016 3:15 pm

wow you’re right diabetes does break the bank.

3
0
()