In the article, “Profiles in Women’s History: Elizabeth Peratrovich” (McGraw Hill) I learned that Elizabeth Peratrovich was an Alaskan, daughter of a native American who fought for equal rights with her husband Roy Peratrovich. In 1941, Native Americans were prohibited from entering a hilding. Together, they contacted Alaska’s governor and the three began an anti-discrimination bill. The bill was later passed in 1945 by a vote of 11-5. This was the first anti-discrimination law in the US. Elizabeth Peratrovich passed away about 13 years after the bill was passed. In Alaska, February 16 is known as “Elizabeth Peratrovich Day”.

What can we do to prevent discrimination in our schools?
0
Please leave a feedback on thisx

I think that people think of discrimination as something that happened a long time ago. Discrimination is still present. It’s hard to imagine discrimination happening now when people seem to be accepting some topics that were an issue before. I think more people should know about Elizabeth Peratrovich and find the motivation to do something about discrimination today.

I think that this is an extremely interesting topic. Before reading this I had never heard anything about her. I think that by bringing attention to people from history that aren’t often talked about, we are spreading the knowledge and giving them the credit they deserve. Very interesting overall.

Anguau Makol
September 24, 2021 7:32 pm

This is my first time hearing of Elizabeth Peratrovich, It’s cool for what she did for native Americans by speaking out and having an anti- discrimination bill passed. Also, I do agree that people should know more about the people who helped paved the way to stop discrimination.

September 24, 2021 5:30 pm

This is a super cool topic! I don’t know much about Alaskan history and it was interesting to read about. It would have been cool if you wrote this more like a story with transitions and made it flow a little more, instead of different pieces of information strung together.

3
0
()