Background/ Description of a child

Jayden is a 4-year-old boy who live in the Bronx. He is a single child. Mom and dad live together in the household. Jayden has an IEP and assist a special education school in the same borough. He receives speech, occupational and physical therapy twice a week.

Physical Presence

In the classroom, Jayden is very active, aggressive, and impatient. He likes things to be his way and when they don’t, he gets these aggressive behaviors, throws himself on the floor. Hits the other children around him and scream very loud. He gets a hard time self-regulating. Teachers try to assist him with relaxing his body and calming his emotions. 

Relationship with children and adults

Jayden can be very caring and easy going with children and adults when he is in the mood. He can communicate, use his words, and play nicely with others. Jayden likes to play with boy A but can also allow others to join them while playing as long as they don’t touch with toys.

Activities and interest

Jayden likes to play with the trains, and the building blocks. He needs to be encouraged to try other areas and other toys because he always prefers to play with the trains. Most of the time, he gets upset if not allowed to go into the block area. 

Formal learning

Jayden has a great memory rapport. During class meeting, he can remember the class previous discussion, topic, and some specific details of what the class had shared the day before. Jayden recognizes the letters, numbers, shapes, colors and is able to stablish a conversation using his prior knowledge.

Branden
August 1, 2022 10:01 pm

Good job Claudia. Your article shows that you have been paying close attention to this student. It also shows that you have I identified the areas where he needs help which give direction on where to help him. Great choice of words when you said ” He needs to be encouraged to try other areas”. You did not say ” made to try or forced”. It shows that you have been caring towards this Child and trying to get him to explore other things in the classroom. Keep doing the great work you are doing.

Crystal
July 29, 2022 4:29 pm

Dear Claudia,

I enjoyed reading your description of Jayden. Your description clearly shows his behaviors and areas where he needs support. It also shows that you have been working and observing Jayden for a while. 

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “He likes things to be his way, and when they don’t, he gets these aggressive behaviors, throws himself on the floor.” This stood out to me because it shows that he needs support regarding his social-emotional skills. Jayden needs help expressing his feelings. Since the child is so young, he will need direct instruction to learn strategies to manage that behavior. I like that the teacher assists him when he displays that behavior and has implemented strategies to help him calm down.  

Another sentence that stood out was, “Jayden likes to play with boy A but can also allow others to join them while playing as long as they don’t touch with toys.” I have experience working with that age group and have observed similar behaviors in children. This shows that Jayden is in the cooperative stage of play, where children play with one another and engage in an activity.

Have you read this article? https://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2017/02/how-to-handle-disruptive-behavior-at-preschool.html I thought you might be interested in this because it has strategies on how to handle destructive behavior in the classroom. This can benefit Jayden and the teacher since it offers other methods to help him self-regulate his emotions.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your description of the child’s characteristics was very detailed, and it shows the areas where he is thriving and where he needs more assistance.

Regina
July 29, 2022 12:38 am

Dear Claudia,

I am Fascinated of reading the details about Ayden’s description because you  gave a clear explanation with details that guided me to improve how to write a child’s description.  
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: Teachers try to assist him with relaxing his body and calming his emotions.” I think this strategy helps him to calm down and go back to doing his classroom work. All teachers have at least a child who shows this kind of behavior. I am happy to hear that the teachers bring strategies to help him feel much better.
Another sentence that I Found interesting was: “He likes things to be his way and when they don’t, he gets these aggressive behaviors, throws himself on the floor. This sentence stood out for me because I have read in some of the posts the same aggressive behavior exhibited by children.
Have you read that article on Behavior Modifications that you may be interested in?  I thought you might be interested in this because it present strategies that deals with changing the behavior of children
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this program will continue and we will keep learning about strategies on how to work with children in the classroom.    

Brittney
July 25, 2022 8:58 pm

Dear Claudia,

This is a very detailed description. It highlights the child strengths and areas that they need support it.

Last edited 8 days ago by Brittney

4
0
()