aerial photo of blue and white city

In the article, “Where are the people?” (The New York Times, Upfront) I learned about the decrease in world population and the implications it will have on society. Even in China, which is known to be a very populous country, ghost cities are showing up because very few people are living there anymore. The explanation for this decrease in the human population could be due to the increase in deaths and the decrease in births, which means that fewer women are having less (or none) children. The Pros of this decrease in population are that there would be less need for more resources like energy and food and the impacts of climate change would not increase as rapidly. However, this decrease can also have negative outcomes because the fewer young people on the planet mean that the elderly have fewer people to depend on to help pay for their services through taxes and labor.

What do you think? Will the decrease of the human population benefit us or burden us?
0
Please leave a feedback on thisx

I think that this sudden shift might be challenging for us, however, I think that we as a society can adapt to it. Fewer people are deciding to have lots of children, with the average dropping to two children, and this can spur more achievement for individuals who have personal goals. This is not to say that having a family and having children is a burden, because likewise, this could look like fulfillment for many individuals. However, trends in the human population demonstrate that fewer people are going in that direction.

Source

Subscription required.

https://upfront.scholastic.com/content/classroom_magazines/upfront/issues/2021-22/110121/where-are-the-people.html

November 5, 2021 5:23 pm

Jade,

I loved the way you formatted this. Having the basic facts, then getting the discussion question, then having your opinion was a great way to layer information on. Jumping into it I had confusion with a couple terms, so I think it would’ve helped to define some of them, but also I really appreciated your personal insight at the end. Your writing was articulate and engaging and I look forward to reading more articles from you.

-Charlie

November 5, 2021 4:11 pm

Dear Jade :
I am very surprised by this information your post, “Decrease in Human Population: Good or Bad? ,” because I didn’t think it could have been possible for the population to be decreasing..
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The explanation for this decrease in the human population could be due to the increase in deaths and the decrease in births, which means that fewer women are having less (or none) children”. I think this is very interesting  because for the past years I’ve never heard of us being decreasing in population I alway’s thought we were going to stay overpopulated. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.
Maria Zavala

November 5, 2021 4:10 pm

Dear Jade :
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “The explanation for this decrease in the human population could be due to the increase in deaths and the decrease in births, which means that fewer women are having less (or none) children”. I think this is very interesting  because for the past years I’ve never heard of us being decreasing in population i alway thought we were going to stay overpopulated. Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next.
Maria zavala

November 3, 2021 1:38 am

Dear Jade

I am very intrigued by your discussion post “Decrease in Human Population: Good or Bad?” Mainly because of how well you articulated everything. Not to mention how interesting this topic is in general. 

One sentence that stood out to me was “this can spur more achievement for individuals who have personal goals.” I think this is a rather interesting take on this and would love to hear you elaborate a bit more.

Thank you for posting! You are a terrific writer which is why I look forward to your next discussion post. Not to mention how you chose to discuss a really important topic which I find very admirable!

4
0
()