Social media is deeply rooted in so many issues in today’s society and is very harmful for  teens. 3 billion people which is 40% of the world population spends 2 hours a day on social media apps. The biggest problems of social media are loneliness, sleep deprivation, and self-esteem. Seeing everyones lives through a screen is detrimental because people post such idealised things making us envious about their Saturday night when that is most likely not the full picture. “When your teen compares their life to friends’ seemingly exciting lives (the highlights of which are featured in their friends’ profiles), it is easy for your child to think of their life as humdrum and depressing. Comparing ourselves to others isn’t good for our mental health.” Which leads to us feeling lonely because we see these glamafied posts. 

Social media is one of the main causes of sleep deprivation. We have all probably had that one night when we say we’re going to go to bed at a certain time and then after scrolling through our feed we realise that an hour has passed. We as teenagers need all the sleep we can get because we are going through long rigorous hours each day. “1 in 10 teens report always using social media overnight between midnight and 6 AM. Sleep deprivation and sleep disturbances are directly linked to loneliness and depression during adolescence.” We as teens need our time to rest and re energize.

Social media also leads to low self esteem. When teens use social media they often base their validation for themselves in what they see online. This is very harmful and unhealthy because what we see on social media might not always be real. This can lead to harmful things such as self harming, low self esteem, and more. 

0
()