COVID-19 has caused a massively negative impact on life as we knew it. People have suffered and while some have been able to defeat this pandemic, tragically lost the battle. The shift in everyday how people approach everyday life has had many negative impacts. However, it has made one positive impact on society. Society has developed more empathy through COVID-19 through the Black Lives Matter Movement, Celebrity Contributions, Families and loved ones suffering losses 

The Black Lives Matter Movement (BLM) started this summer when George Floyd was killed for being black. Mr. Floyd’s last words were “I can’t breathe” (Miller). He said this when a police officer knelt on the back of his neck. This caused the majority of U.S. citizens to rebel against all police officers. The public said that all cops are bad because they work for the government. Adults and high school students started to make signs and go to rallies to support the BLM Movement. If individuals couldn’t make any rallies then they posted on their social media about what happened and how younger people could get involved. I feel that Covid-19 had a part in this because American’s were in quarantine for many months and all their energy, rage and empathy went to George Floyd and the rest of the black community. 

COVID has caused many Americans to lose their jobs resulting in them not being able to provide for their families. Celebrities have contributed money to people who need it the most. “Beyonce and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey have donated 6 million to the coronavirus relief effort” (news.sky.com). Beyonce and Jack Dorsey could have kept that money for themselves but they decided to be empathetic and help their fellow Americans. 

Covid-19 has caused millions of deaths. Nurses have had to hold a family members phone, on facetime while the loved one is passing away. “It’s the most heartbreaking thing I’ve ever had to witness” (Mucha). Nurses connect with their patients so they feel as comfortable and supported as much as possible. They give the family member cookies and coffee for comfort food. 

No one expected Covid-19 to be as bad as it is. Taking thousands of lives and changing society by making us wear masks. Covid-19 has its positive outcomes. It has made society become more empathetic through the BLM movement, Celebrities donating money and first responders.

1. Miranda 4 weeks ago

Anastasia, i really enjoyed your blog post i think you did a really good job tying in different examples of how empathy showed through during the pandemic. Using the BLM movement and talking about how celebrities donated money really added depth to this piece. And i like how you showed not just the negatives but also positives creating a very balanced view on covid.

2. Ella 4 weeks ago

I really like your piece and I agree that nobody expected for Covid to be as bad as it is. I also like how you incorporated the protests into this because it impacted this year greatly.