On Tuesday, March 17, 2020, the city of Berkeley Health Officer gave orders to all residents to stay at home. When I first heard about the virus, I felt worried because I didn’t know what would happen once it started spreading wildly. We started learning about the symptoms and how others who are infected can spread them. When we were still in school I used to hug my friends every time we would see each other, but now I can’t do that. Now I feel like I’m playing in the movie 6 Feet Apart.

It has been one tragic year for all countries around the world due to COVID- 19. I decided to interview my aunt because I wanted to hear what she had to say about her experience during the pandemic. She works as a nurse and during her time off she works at home with her daughter Danielle. According to my aunt, her life has changed because she is not able to attend church and do her daily routine.

“A lot has changed. For example, when you see your best friend, you can’t give them a big hug and you are sometimes scared for yourself or your family. It’s like living under stress,” she says.

The people of Virginia should take a lot of precautions because of the virus and the reason why is because lots of people are coming and leaving the state and the government doesn’t have rules that people who travel from another state or country should stay quarantined for two weeks. The majority of people are staying quarantined, and people are trying their best to stay safe. As a result, there aren’t as many coronavirus cases as the average.

There are differences between Berkeley and Virginia and the way the government handles staying at home policy. Some similarities are both states are vaccinating healthcare workers and residents 75 and older.  Where I live, there are three places to get COVID tests, but you need to make an appointment first. On January 14, 2021, Virginia released an update for reopening pre-K-12 so parents can choose to send their children to in-person school twice a week. Because the population of Virginia is less than California’s now Virginia schools will start in-person school sooner.

After conducting this interview, I learned that Virginia Beach has more cases due to the increasing number of tourists. I also learned that California has more cases than Virginia.  When I think about what my life was like one year ago, I feel lonely, sad, and hopeful. I miss my friends and my teachers, but I feel hopeful that one day all this will be history.

1. Andrea 3 weeks ago

Dear Sephora,
    I believe that the pandemic balances the rich and powerful, as well as the poor and sick. And while each of us is experiencing a little differently but it affects all of us, it would be false to say that we have a great deal of shared experience. I hope all this ends very soon; and that everyone takes more consequence of what is really happening since every day many people die personally throughout this and learned that I must take care of myself since this is not a joke or a game less because I already experienced the pain and sadness of losing my relatives due to this pandemic, we can only understand and follow the health rules well.

2. Orlando 3 weeks ago

Hello Sephora:

My opinion is that the people of Virginia in the world should take many precautions about the virus that, is very deadly. You should not say hello if does not matter. If it is your best friend or girlfriend, it does not matter first the health of each one of all because the pandemic is not a game in the country and the world.

3. Milo 3 weeks ago

Dear Sephora,
    It was really interesting reading two separate stories on COVID and how their community/state dealt with it, and how they not only contrast to themselves, but contrast to my experience in Utah, which up until recently hasn’t really been very well (if you’re curious how we’re doing right now, you can read this link https://kslnewsradio.com/1942893/gov-cox-covid-19-vaccine-may-be-available-for-all-utahns-sooner-than-expected/). I am also curious how the entire state of California has dealt with the Pandemic, aside from Berkeley. Anyhow, great post, keep it up, and I hope to read more about how our Union has dealt with this pandemic differently.

4. Sam 4 weeks ago

Sephora,
    Covid is a uniquely shared experience, isn’t it? There’s been a great deal of discussion about how the pandemic is some sort of ‘great equalizer,’ leveling the rich and powerful just as it does the poor and sickly. And while we each experience this catastrophe differently, it would be untrue to say that we have a great deal of shared experience. I do hope it will be over soon; but until then, we can all commiserate together.

5. Tristan 4 weeks ago

Dear Sephora:

I am really sad about the facts your report in your post “COVID-19 Around the world: Virginia, USA, because we all know the damage of the pandemic around the world and particularly in the US.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ”A lot has changed.” You wanted to describe the actual consequences of the pandemic.

You talked about how professional sports had to stop. Have you seen this articles? As pro sports successfully restart, UVa and other college programs face more daunting COVID-19 challengesI thought you might be interested in this because of how it compares professional sports with college sports in Virginia.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this is really important for me to see all the problem that the pandemic caused around the world.