Anne, the protagonist in The Couple Next Door, has a few traits that influence their relationships with others.

One, she is depressed. Two, she is loving.  Three, she is considerate.

These traits influence her relationships with others. “She has postpartum depression, so she’s been taking medicine for it, but even so we decided to leave Cora in the house by herself because we didn’t want Graham to be alone on his birthday”  Her depression comes into play here when they go back to their house after the party and Cora is gone. Since she already had depression before this, the loss of her daughter really made her sad and she started breaking down crying and getting mad at Marco.

Later, on page 15, Marco interacts with Anne, basically consoling her . “ ‘Anne I’m so sorry, I know this is my fault, I’m sorry’ but, she just pushed him off ”. Anne’s response here deepens a reader’s sense of her depression, and sparks a feeling of sadness.

1. Bethzy 2 months ago

Dear Ian,

I am interested on this post because it really makes me wanna learn more about the character Anne’s traits.

One thing that stand out to me was where you wrote “Her depression comes into play here when they go back to their house after the party and Cora is gone.” i wonder what happened that day, why did her depression come to her?

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because this post seems really interesting i would definitely would be reading this book.

2. Alex 3 months ago

Dear Ian
    I am interested in your post because what you described makes me want to read the book and find out more about Anne and the book in general

One thing you said that stands out for me is: “Her depression comes into play here when they go back to their house after the party and Cora is gone. Since she already had depression before this, the loss of her daughter really made her sad and she started breaking down crying and getting mad at Marco.” I think this is sad because Anne lost her daughter which does not help with the fact that she has depression.

Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because of how you describe the books you read.

3. Nicolle 3 months ago

Dear Ian,

I like the way you described what she was going through and her depression because it showed part of the reason that she acted the way she did. The way you put it in got me wondering and wanting to find out more so I might just read it as well.

4. Tonyaalile 3 months ago

Mi-a ajuns coletul cu noua colecție😍🤫💞