The article I was reading was basically reviewing the best ways to reform foster care. The author of the article I read has a nonprofit organization called ABA center on children and the law. They were given a two year $100,000 federal grant to improve the foster care system in Onondaga, new york. Their goal was to enhance foster children’s sense of stability and permanency by reducing the amount of time they spent in foster care. The project was staffed by an on-site permanency planning specialist, on-site attorney, and the author, a legal expert. Their team met up bi-monthly with a multidisciplinary advisory board which included judges, attorneys, caseworkers, service providers, and child advocates. together they discussed problem areas, developed solutions, created new procedures and trained staff. By reducing the number of times children spent in foster care they are essentially saving the government a lot of money. The New York State Legislature estimates that one year in foster care costs the state $10,000 to $15,000. They compared their data on the average time from child placement in foster care to a final order of termination of parental fights before and after the project. In Onondaga County, they reduced the average from 4.6 years to 3.2 years–a difference of 1.4 years. The number of children affected by the project was 137. So without the project most likely those 147 children would have stayed in foster care for another 1.4 years or more.

0
()